Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a good tutorial on transformer vector group change using cable phase swap and rollover? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrical429

Electrical
Nov 13, 2019
GB
I understand transformer vector groups, however I get confused when it comes to changing phase order outside the transformer to change it's vector group. For example the following statement:

"For this connection the outer HV phase conductors are effectively swapped, with phase Red connected to transformer terminal C and phase Blue connected to transformer terminal A. This needs to be repeated on the LV side of the transformer to obtain a conventional vector group. Swapping the conductors in this way reverses the effect of the transformer, achieving an effective Yd1 vector group from a Yd11 transformer. This is called a negative sequence connection."

or

"Similarly a Yd8 can be achieved from a Yy0 by rolling the conductors from R -> Y -> B."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See if this Link and image below can help.
mqdefault.jpg

Good day!

My humble tip...

Swapping two corresponding leads in the primary and secondary of a transformer will effectively change the functional vector group of the transformer. The nameplate vector group still remains the same.

To determine what is the vector group change, use the following:

New functional vector group = 12 - clock number of original vector group

Examples:
1. A Dy11 transformer will become a functional Dy1 transformer (12-11 = 1).
2. A Dy5 transformer will become a functional Dy7 transformer (12-5 = 7).

Hope this helps.

Regards.

"Similarly a Yd8 can be achieved from a Yy0 by rolling the conductors from R -> Y -> B."

Further, a Yd8 can not be formed from a Yy0 transformer. You can not alter the winding configuration no matter how you swap the transformer leads. A Yy transformer will always be Yy. A Dy will always be Dy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back