Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a Mil-Spec or other Standard for applying body filler? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartonrj25

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2008
US
I am applying a general note for surface prep and application of body filler to an aircraft and I want to make sure I source the mil-spec or other applicable standard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Surely (?) Boeing specify something in the SRM, AMM, somewhere ?

or are you modifying an AH64 and don't have the manuals ??

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I am making modifications to the Horizontal Stabilator. Altering from Delta to Echo model. There are two panel access at the rear of the stabilator. The cut-out hole sizes are different shapes and will require body modification. This is a Part Task trainer simulator for the Apache Longbow E model. I do have an IETM but it will not apply for this modification.

A training simulator ? presumably non-flying ? Do you Need MIL SPEC filler ??

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I am sure that one of the aircraft TMs related to 'finishing' or minor structural repairs for dents... has this data... however I'm not sure there should be much need for depression fillers on an Army chopper undergoing routine refinishing... unless it looked like it flew thru a hail storm.

I suspect that there are folks at CCAD Corpus Christy TX or an Army field service engineer that has this knowledge/authority. Be careful the fillers are approved by the engineers.

In USAF 'T.O.s' this is typically covered under the topic "Weather Sealant and Aerodynamic Smoother Application" … which also fills/smooths gaps/seams/butt-joints... prior to painting.

We typically specify epoxy primer followed by a flexible filler such a MIL sealant... sanded or 'swiped smooth' [plastic squeegee, etc]... followed by over-coat of primer then top-coat.

Rigid fillers should be avoided since they may 'pop-loose [spall-off] in service' leaving an nasty 'hole' in the finish.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back