Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a stable version of Windows? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

miner00

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2001
US
At work, I run Windows NT and to this point, I have had no problems. My computer at home though runs Windows ME, I have had nothing but trouble. To this point, it has corrupted several programs that now need to be reinstalled and dies if I try to extrude a solid in Solidworks. Lately it has been freaking out with Word docs.

I am about ready to go out and buy Windows XP, but I thought I would ask around to see if there was a better option. This is a relatively new computer with a P3 933mHz and 128MB Ram. I will probably upgrade RAM as well, but 128 should be more than enough to run Word or extrude a solid without dying.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep - if this keeps up, the thread may be dropped in a dustbin. Time to call it quits...and close this thread.

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Actually one (well almost) last comment just to stir the pot.

I seem to notice that despite the many problems raised not many people actually blamed the software manufacturers that write code that is not "fully compatible" with windows (any version). A friend of mine recently pointed out that W2000 is stable because it supports a narrower range of products (both hardware and software) as someone said earlier.

How many hardware manufacturers write decent drivers for windows? I've noticed that HP is almost criminal in that it supplies new drivers for every printer/plotter it produces, but does not offer full windows support. ie. its driver for the HP500 series plotter does not actually support bi-directional control even though the plotter operating software insists that it does. Also some HP drivers will run a variety of HP printers but HP still install new drivers to "ensure full compatibility".

How about all of the developers that install new DLLs over old and cause issues for other programs that use the same DLL. Also applies to some removal software, yep, it removes the software alright but does not correct the registry. A good recipe for software crashes.

Despite this thread having its major discussion regarding windows we need to remember that windows is now also reasonably integrated into other programs, so all problems encountered that result in a crash may not be due to windows.

regards
sc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back