Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there a way to Group multiple components/(parts) in an assembly, and pattern that GROUP ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

amata42

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2012
US

Hi all,

In CATIA v5, Is there a way to Group multiple components/(parts) in an assembly (Product), and then pattern that GROUP ? I've been trying to do it for 2 hours now, and I can't figure it out. First, I tried to group the parts using

DMU Navigator > DMU Review Creation > Group "button"

then used the Define Multi Instantiation command... It didn't work. It wouldn't let me select the "DMU Group" ...

Is there another way to do it?

- Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One possible way would be to group your components together in another product file first and then add this product under your higher level product. I'm very sure you can use multi-instantiation to pattern a product.

CATIA V5 R20
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

try the "Insert-New Component" option.
then get your parts inside that component--think of it as a folder in your product tree for your parts--notice there is no background sheet behind the "component" icon, compared to one for an assembly or a part. now you can reuse a pattern from one of your other files...

regards,
LWolf

The Insert=>new Component command works well if this is a one-time thing. This is much faster than what I suggested but the downside to this is that there is no external file created so nothing that you can use in future assemblies.

If you go through the extra work to create a separate product file and add in all of the components, constrain them appropriately, etc., then you have something that can be added to this assembly and any other assembly in the future. It just depends on how much time you want to invest in future reuse.

CATIA V5 R20
PC-DMIS 2011 MR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back