Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to "lock" a .dwg file so it can't be modified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

letric

Electrical
May 20, 2004
US
I would like to send .dwg files to other clients. I am working w/ Acad 2000 and Acad 2004LT. Can you make a file uneditable but still be viewed in Acad? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That is the option we use now. Unfortunately, our clients are having difficulties plotting to full size and/or scale. I've worked on this problem briefly in the past, and came up with nothing. I was just hoping there was something new that I missed.

There is nothing new on this front that I know of. You can insert the entire drawing into another blank drawing as a block with one scale factor just slightly off 1.000000 - this will stop a beginner from exploding the block into editable objects. You can make the drawing and image and import that image into another drawing. I wish there were better options.

We are currently doing work on a project where the consultant has issued several hundred pages of drawings as .pdf files, and there doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere.

Are creating DWF's an option for LT? That would give your customer very AutoCAD like look and keep your drawing safe.

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." — Will Rogers

By doing the following, your drawing cannot be exploded and easily modified.
1: Wblock your drawing
2: In new drawing, “MInsert” drawing with 1 row,2 columns, and set the distance to 0 between columns.
Now when you send the drawing to someone, it can be viewed but not exploded and changed.
The only drawback with this is that the drawing has to be all paper space, or all model space.

P.S. An experienced ACAD user may know what was done, and know how to defeat this, but the average user will not.

Flores

Hi,

If you right click on the dwg file, and then select properties, you can check "read only" instead of "archive", and then the file will be read only and it can't be changed or edited.

They won't be able to "accidentally" edit or screw up the file, but if they really want to edit it, they can. If it's not a security issue, you can just use this method. There are programs that can convert large numbers of files to read only, archive, etc..

John

Thanks guys for all the advise.
John2004, all someone has to do is a save as and then it can be modified.
smcadman, for beginners, this would be a good option, but unfortunately, most that I deal with are not.
borgunit, I've already tried to submit the dwf file to my uppers. For one reason or another it was not an option.
Metalfixer, I will research this option.
Thanks again for all the responses.

Send the drawing files on CD-ROM
They can not be changed on the CD
Yes they can saveas on their drive but you will always be able to document changes from the CD

Hi letric,

If you right click on the drawing dwg before you open it, select properties, and then check "read only" then un-check everything else, then the file is "read only". You cannot use the "save as" function to make changes unlesss you rename the file. If you try to make changes, without renaming the file first, you will get a message that says "write protected" and you cant change anyting. As I mentioned, this is just to keep someone from accidently making changes. It's not a "security" option.

Another option is to simply lock all drawing layers, and then nothing can be modified, but then you can really only view the drawing, if you take meaurements and want to delete the measurements, then you will have to unlock the layer.

Are you afraid someone is going to accidently make changes and just screw up the drawing, or is it security related where you are afraid someone will modify your DWG and use it for their own profit without your permission ?

John

Explode everything that can be exploded. Don't draw it to scale. Don't snap lines to orthogonal, just eyeball them in. Draw it so lines don't meet at points, or overshoot each other. In a 2D drawing, shift random elements in the 3rd dimension. When you're all done, it won't keep them from changing stuff, but will serve them right if they try. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back