Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there an ASTM code for welding 17-4 to 316 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumph406

Aerospace
Oct 28, 2005
US
Hi,

We will be welding a 316 elbow, to a 17-4PH pipe using hastalloy W rod. The assembly will be used to feed high pressure air (1000psi) into a plenum.

Our customer was asking if there was an ASTM spec (technique) that we planned to use. Is there an ASTM spec that covers welding of dissimilar metals? nOr is likely we would have to make a weld and get it qualified?

We have a Rockwell (rocketdyne) spec RL10011 spec that shows 316 can be welded to 17-4 with hastalloy W rod.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given to this question

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

triumph406;
I would suggest you qualify a welding procedure specification for this job using ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX. If you are unfamilar with this, I would suggest, based on your stated high pressure air piping, that you review ASME B31.3 Process Piping Code for futher information regarding welding, and post welding inspection activities.

There is not an ASTM spec that I am aware of that would provide you this information.

You will need to qualify the weld in accordance to the code you are using....probably B31.3??

AWS D1.6 also lists 308 or 308L (if you use 316L) as appropriate filler metal for this dissimilar weld. If the part sees above 650 F then a nickel-chrome-iron (ENiCrFe-3)would probably work better. If Rocketdyne has proved that the hastalloy will work, then it will, but what was the application for it? If its similar to yours then it is probably the best route to go. Either way, you will still have to qualify your weld procedure with whatever filler metal you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back