Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any hope for us entry level engineers? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMan14

Materials
Jan 3, 2004
US
I earned my degree in Materials Engineering Dec. of 2002 and am still looking for an engineering opportunity. I know times have been bad since 911, but how are any of us entry level guys ever going to get experience when no one will hire us without 5-10 years experience. I have all this will and desire to make a difference in a company, but it seems that only my friends with a connection on the inside are getting jobs. I know my field is somewhat limited, but do any of you see any signs for 2004 that us little guys will be given a chance to make an impact?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello to any Chemical Engineering grads looking for work.

How hard would it be for you folks to transfer into Pharmacy? In Canada, there is such a severe shortage of Pharmacists that it was one of the top stories on CBC radio news this morning. Check out:

High School students are receiving guarantees of employment, complete funding of their tuition and, even signing bonuses from large grocery and drugstore chains.

I've seen other threads in this forum which suggest things are also good for Pharamcists in the U.S.

Good Luck!

I'll agree that pharmacists are in high demand, at least in the US, especially in retail. Personally, Pharmacy is a totally different learning approach. Engineering is based on principles of firm understanding from which you build upon, making you flexible for a variety of different problem solving areas. Pharmacy is rote memorization and requires highly detailed knowledge. I have friends who are very good at it... but it's not for me. Also, to anyone interested in retail pharmacy... how would you like denying medications to the elderly and haggling with insurance companies because HMO's don't cover them?

aspearin1

As only a Drafter, I have had difficulties finding dafting work since this past July. I can't believe that I am, once again, having to go back to night-stocking at a grocery store. Gracious, that's how I put myself through Drafting school, some 14 years ago.
Part of my problem is location. The other part is my wife being unwilling to move. I have had 4 interviews with Dallas/Fort Worth area employers who don't think I have a qualifications issue: They feel I have a location issue.
I may have to be a real jerk and leave my wife just in order to get back into Drafting, but this 52 year old body is certainly stiff and sore from stocking grocery store shelves.
I have tried to tell these Dallas/Fort Worth area prospective employers that the distance from where I live is commutable, but so far they're not buying that idea.
I know I will have to move house.... with or without my spouse. Which make me feel like a real jerk.

Faith: Your heart knowing there's an ocean before your eyes get there to see it...

MetalMan14,
how is your job search going? Fill us up on any opportunities that you had etc. There is actually a couple of us interested.

Coka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back