Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any Law documentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teabags

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
I was wondering if there is any documentation out there that shows the proper law language and syntax. I don't currently have a knowledgware license so I am looking to try to build some intelligence into my models using laws instead of rules. I come from a UG background and Catia seems to do this a bit different than I am used to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would also be VERY interested in some documentation.

And for the formula editor as well. For example, can you use IF statements in the formula editor itself, or just in a law?

I hope someone knows where to find this information.

Laws aren't going to give your model "intelligence". They are only going to help you *initially* define the geometry. However, combined with simple parameters, they may be extrememly useful. (and "semi-intelligent")

I have a habit of asking questions before giving answers, because I find that more information leads to less "discussion", and more direct results. So if I could be so bold - could you elaborate a bit more on your objective, before being referred to the documentation?

I am asking primarily because you speak of "language" and "syntax" with laws, which leads me to believe that you may be trying to do something that is not suited to their application.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

I am looking to setup my part so that the angle and # of instances of a feature changes depending on the dia of the part. I am also looking to setup other models so that certain features activate and deactivate depending on the size of my part.

You need the KWA license to do that. This will enable you to setup reactions.

Be careful not to mistake "laws" for "knowledge laws". I thought you were trying to use the law function to accomplish this on your first post.

AS for the documentation - I looked into buying several Knowledge Products recently, and was mortified to find out that it was challenging, if not impossible to self-train on these products. In fact, the reseller told me that they usually won't sell KWA and KWE without the purchase of training. (not offered through them, but through Dassault) The API for KW products is not included in the documentation, and your guess is as good as mine as to where to find it.

Hope that helps. (though I doubt that it does)

Thanks for your help. Perhaps one day I'll be able to get my boss to spring for the knowledgeware license, I haven't pursued the matter very aggressively yet. In the meantime it's not a big deal, I am currently controlling the parameters with a spreadsheet. One more side question is; can I activate and deactivate features with a parameter in a spreadsheet?

Yes. Look for boolean parameters when you are setting up the design table. The parameter labeled "activity" controls activation or deactivation of features via a true or false setting.

I have done some pretty cool "knowledge" products through nothing more than than just HD2 and a good working knowledge of Excel formulas.

PKT and KWA is a very awesome combination of products. If you ever get into knowledge processes, these are the 2 to have.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back