Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there any way to have Pro/e to prmpt before save?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldboot

Industrial
Jun 30, 2004
CA
Sorry for so many questions. I have searched the titles in the forums with key words 'save', 'prompt', 'dir', 'hint', 'directory' but no solutions.

When I build a model/part, then click 'save' logo in the tool bar, it only prompt me "to save?" then I click on the tick....everything is done ---- I don't know where the file is saved at all. I finally found it was saved in my "starting folder".

Even I setup the "working directory".

So, is there anyway to have the proe to give a prompt asking which folder to save the file before saving?
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, it should always be saved in your working directory.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

oldboot,
Be sure to set the desired working directory when starting a new part. Otherwise, as you have found, the part will be saved in your start directory.

Regards,

JW

oldboot
There is an option in config.pro that controls this. The oprion is "overrride_store_back" if it is set to "no"(default)
it will try to save back to the original directory the object came from. This should be set to yes to force the oject to save in the current working dir. However be carefull with assys and drawings. If you get these from an other dir which is not the current working dir,I suggest you use "backup" for the first time save. This makes sure that you have the complete set of dependencies in the current working dir.

Joe Borg

I tried the version wildfire 2.0 at home. it prompts.

But the one at my office (wildfire 2002) does not. I viewed all the config.pro settings in my home computer. No settings specially for this. I forgot what I did (maybe the wf2.0 does not need this setting?

If I save a drawing in dir A whose part is from dir B. I can set the search_path in config.pro = "looking for dir B". So next time when I open the drawing in A, proe will search dir B instead of poping up with error.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back