Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

is there available an inverter for 13.8 kv motor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanyHamed

Electrical
Jul 20, 2005
AE
i have a 13.8 kv motor. is there any inverter can supply that MV motor in the market? if not what is maximum MV available?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know the answer.

I know Toshiba offers 4kv inverters.

Presumably a stepup transformer could be used between inverter and motor? At least I don't know of any problems with that approach other than cost.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

ABB systems group makes inverters in the MW range. That would include 13.8KV.

I don't know the exact contacts for this equipment but I am certain that the US Drives & Power Products Group in New Berlin WI can help you.

Their number is 800-752-0696.

High voltage very high power inverters/converters usually use gate turn off thyristors.

There are all sorts of high voltage systems used with railway traction, some are even ac with regenerative braking.

Siemens made 6 units for TCPL at 44MW each and running speed of 5200rpm. These motors start and run like a dream. just like starting an engine revs build slowly and accelerate at an even rate, and rapid through critical speeds. They are synchronous motors

Drivemaster,
The only manufacturer I know of that makes a true 13.8kV drive is Robicon, now a part of Siemens. Robicon 13.8kV drives link The problem is that 2.45MW is somewhat small in that voltage range so you may end up with a larger capacity than necessary with a nameplate that says it is smaller.

As far as I know, all of the others (ABB, Toshiba, GE, Alstom, and even Siemens prior to buying Robicon), do it by using transformers on either side and a lower voltage (4.2-6.6kV) drive, which adds significant losses to the system. That kind of system works, but makes it even more expensive because the output transformer must be specially designed to function in a variable frequency environment.

Also, IMHO you should definately stay away from someone like US Drives who would do it by transforming down to 575V and back up. Do the math. At 2.45MW, the current at 575V is going to be astronomical!

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
Nikola Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back