Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

is there difference between a linear solenoid and a linear actuator? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunburn731

Industrial
Aug 11, 2011
I am designing a system that requires a pin to be pulled back to drop a ball in a tube. Based on my research I found a linear solenoid device and a linear actuator. Are they the same thing? If they are different, what are the key differences? I am looking for a low cost part that doesnt need to be precise. Just a small electric motor that pulls a pin in and out.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sunburn731,

Most commercial solenoids are an electric coil, a magnet and a spring, rigged up somehow. You turn them on and off. Some solenoids are bi-directional.

Something called a linear actuator should be more sophisticated than that. Probably, it can move to a set of positions or a continum of positions, and tell you where it is sitting.

The terminology should not really be important. Which one does what you want?

Remember, a regular solenoid consumes power while it is on. All of that power is converted to heat.

Critter.gif
JHG

An electric solenoid has a defined travel and travels that amount every time it is activated. An actuator can be commanded to a position anywhere within the range of its travel, and its ultimate number of positions could then be infinite.

rmw

I was taught rmw's answer. I'll second it. Solenoid, to me, means two-position. Actuator is variable-position.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

There are also latching solenoids which do not require power to maintain "open", rather a pulse of power to lock, and another pulse to unlock.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

If you want to actually drive it with a motor per your statement. Then you need an actuator. I would search screw jack for pretty inexpensive version that a motor will attach to.

I think the OP was referring to a solenoid, technically it is a linear motor, and is ideal for the application that was referred to.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back