Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there IP or NEMA rating for outdoor AC unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genius_MC

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2023
AE
Hello,

My client insists that an outdoor air conditioner unit must comply with an IP rating, but I cannot find any standard or requirement for this equipment. I know that the manufacturer may have their own standards for weather resistance, but as far as I am aware, there is no specific international standard. Does anyone know if such a standard exists?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they were going to be certified it would most likely be NEMA 3R or IP14. I see these standards applied to other outdoor installations such as transformers and load centers/disconnect switches. What you may find is that the AC manufacturer uses individually items that are certified but never certified the entire unit which is why you don't get a rating for the unit.

Genius_MC,

I would think that anything connected to AC power and located outside in the rain and dust, ought to be sealed to NEMA[ ]4 or IP66. What do your air conditioner suppliers claim?

--
JHG

Those rating apply to components not to entire systems.
Building the system is the responsibility of the AC manufacturer.
I know that they test the heck out of these units outdoors in various climates.
But there is no official rating for the entire system.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

You should do a thorough search. These claim to be explosion proof
a few minutes of googling IP54 internals IP34 external loop

Any more than that probably requires your customer to put their money where their mouth is.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thank you to everyone who answered.

The AC unit installed on my site is made by Daikin, and it has an IP rating of IPX4. Other AC manufacturers like Samsung, LG, and Mitsubishi also have units with the same IPX4 rating.

As far as I have checked, there seems to be no clear requirement for the IP rating of an outdoor unit.
Therefore, I will inform the client that I will not be replacing the outdoor unit.

Thank you again for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back