Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is there more to engineering than this.? 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhp78

Feb 25, 2002
US
I graduated w/ my BSME, and have had 2 jobs since them.. But have been simmilar and quite unsatisfying.. Basicly, i have been sitting in front of a computer doing CAD design.. I have had 2 managers that had no degree, and one (current) that so belligerent that it is inpossible to converse with him...

My problem is this: I feel as if i am Stagnating. I expected to do more analytical work, and work in an envrionment where i would learn and develop skills.. This is not happening...

Am i expecting too much, or do i just keep getting myself in the wrong situation..

Here is a link to my resume, if that might offer any insight

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lorentz,

Looks like dhp78 lost interest

from dhp78's profile -- "I've been a member since Feb 25, 2002, and have logged in 3 times. I last logged in on Wed, Jul 24, 2002."

--- that's too bad there are many good thoughts and stories in this thread.

ietech

NRaaum
Check out the other post here under this same forum title
"Is it typical story or what?"

The party that started the question might be looking for more help than we can give him, but some have added more information about career/life paths. To qualify what I added to that thread, I was not judging him, and have no intention to judge anyone.

For this thread;I agree with ietech that there are many good thoughts and stories here.

We might have read more into what dhp78 had for issues, or he found a new job.

If any graduate engineer readers have the experience of being on CAD and reporting to non-engineers, the answer may be to get out and work for a real engineering company.

Automotive is infested with this pattern, and I think it emanates from big three efforts to reduce cost thru their QS9000 programs. My worst job was in automotive under QS controls.

I wear jeans and sneakers almost every day, but I'm not supposed to. I get away with it by (a) being in a somewhat remote location so that the people who really care about wardrobe don't see me very often and (b) being damn good at what I do, so even when I get the occasional wardrobe lecture my recidivism is forgiven.

But I've wondered often whether "what I do" is really engineering, to head back to the initial topic of this thread. It certainly took a lot of creativity to couch my work experience in terms that would sound like engineering to a design-oriented PE licensing board (fortunately, they approved it). The entire licensing process--the type of experience required, the material covered on the exam--equates engineering with design. I am not a designer. I calculate only occasionally, and the calculations can be done on a four-banger calculator. "I dunno, lemme ask the designer" is a stock phrase.

What convinced me that I'm an engineer, that I'm making engineering decisions even if I don't play much with numbers, is that I work with very experienced inspectors, and there are a lot of questions that I can answer that they can't. That's engineering knowledge.

It's a two-year-old thread, but I guess a lot of what's been covered is always relevant. The answer that said, "Be grateful you even have a job; you shouldn't expect to enjoy it" didn't seem like a joke, but I sure hope it was (I'm usually pretty good at spotting irony, but I'm not perfect). Me, I don't have the discipline to sit and do something I don't enjoy. I have to enjoy my work or it doesn't get done. If one thinks one's tasks are too menial, try asking for different ones. Sitting around and waiting for someone to come along and make things better just doesn't work. If better tasks aren't in the job description and the job description can't be rewritten, it's time to find another job.

Hg

Interesting to read all the above postings where people comment on graduate engineers ending up as CAD operators.

When will companies realise that draughting is a position in it's own right and stop assuming that every graduate who can operate the basics of a CAD package is a draughtsman?

I was a draughtsman, trained on the board before moving into CAD. Eventaully I went onto University to complete a degree in Engineering.

I look at alot of the "draughtsman" I have worked with over the years and cringe. They are no longer trained in producing good, working drawings but seem to have been replaced with CAD operators. Bring back the draughtsman.

For the original writer of this thread, two years or so have passed so hopefully things have changed for the better.

For a long time after completing my degree I ended up being pushed into draughting positions because of my draughting background, but after much peserverence I have the engineering job I always wanted, it's just taken me 8 years to get it. I've had a range of jobs, including the jobs I couldn't get out if bed in the morning for because I hated them so much. A number of companies I had worked for went under etc etc.

If you really want to get ahead then it can take time, and somtimes you have to move out of one company to move up a level, to move back again into the job you want. If you stayed where you are you may always be the gophar.

"When will companies realise that draughting is a position in it's own right and stop assuming that every graduate who can operate the basics of a CAD package is a draughtsman?"

Amen. We got into some of that over on the "engineering apprentice" thread (thread730-99415).

Hg

Well how did I end up in engineering ? Who knows. Never had a plan when I was a kid, just found that mechanical things and electrical things were interesting and it went from there, apprenticeship as a spark and then working for various companies that geve me training. Now Im working in facilities and enjoy it. Work is never exciting 100% of the time but if you enjoy the work and get a good bite at it then you are doing well.
Engineering is always a challenge, but I hate those ads for sales engineers and photocopier engineers, I really do after all they are not engineers and it just debases the whole term. How can a guy who change parts be described as an engineer when he isnt getting in and about something designing a solution and solving a problem ? Thats the rewarding bit, the satisfaction of seeing something that you have thought out planned and sweated on to get right. Its a creation of your doing and when it works it sure as hell feels great......

Rugged

svanels :

"I have had 2 managers that had no degree", to me this look like you have a problem toc accept authority.
The only way out is to start your own Bussiness

So agree with you.

Regards

Is there more to engineering than this?

Yes, of course there is. Sometimes the job can get mundane. However, to learn and keep my technical skill level up I look forward to signing on to Engineering-Tips.com each day. I enjoy reading the various technical posts and to help my fellow engineering colleagues.

My first job out of college was for a high tech machine shop as a process engineer. I thought this would be good experience with alot to learn. Their lead engineer worked about 70 hours a week on the CAD room and I was promised that after gaining some experience on the floor that I would be moved into the drafting and design areas.

Let's just say that it took me about six months to figure out that I was working cheaper than the machinists they were hiring off the street for the same work. When they offered to allow me to learn the CAD system unpaid after working a ten hour day I politely told them I would think about it, got a haircut and began to interview like crazy for jobs.

I was offered a temp to perm position at the company I now work for. I told them I was very impressed with their company but I could not accept a tempory position as I had regular bills to pay. I aced my next interview and within 2 months had a regular offer from the initial company and another offer from a differnt company.

My first job taught me a lot of practical skills. Like I can operate many of the machines in the shop to make most simple modifications to an existing piece of equipment. Even more importantly when I design or plan a modification I know how I would do it. With this though in mind I can communicate to the maintenance guy on a nuts and bolts level what I want. This helps to build respect with the people making something for you if they know you could actually make the part yourself and understand the process. Many times however they have a slightly better way to do it (because they do this sort of thing every day). I listen to what they have to say and if it is better or functionally as good I let them do it thier way.

So anyhow if you are doing grunt work make the best of it. If it makes you unhappy may it motivate you to search out something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back