Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this a good idea 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ME82

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2005
US
working 40hrs and doing full-time schooling in mechanical engineering courses. I really do not want to do this, but i do not have many options left to choose from.

My goal is to complete all the lower division classes and then hopefully end up getting a part time job so i can concentrate on the upper division courses.

So far everyone is saying this is suicide, what do u think.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I completed a Chemical Engineering Bachelors degree program while working ~20 hours a week in engineering at a local pharmaceutical plant. I started the summer after my sophomore year as a full-time summer intern, and kept working while I went to school. It took me 5 years to complete the curriculum, taking 4-6 classes per semester (usually a total of 14-19 credit hours) in fall and winter and working full-time during the summers, in-between semesters, and on spring break. I scheduled most of my classes early in the morning, and was fortunate to have an employer who was flexible and allowed me to work nights and weekends.

The experience was what helped me find a job upon graduation; definatly worth finding an internship. Prior to that, for the first two years, I took a job at the university library just to make some extra money.

My opinion:

1. Having a job while you go to school helps pay the bills.

2. Having a job in your field prior to graduation makes you more marketable after graduation, which will enable you to pay back any student loans. Plus, a job with an employer in your field might open up tuition reimbursement options.

3. A full-time job and full-time school is insane; I was already missing out on a lot of college fun things and getting really burnt out because of my committments; I would seriously consider financial aid for any expenses a part-time job doesn't cover.

4. Having a job helps you keep focus on what you're trying to accomplish in school, it teaches you excellent time management, and responsibility. Too much work while your in school takes away from your learning ability and what you're trying to accomplish. If you try to do too much at once, something will suffer; it shouldn't be your education.

Just my two cents...

I earned my undergraduate by going to college full time directly after graduating from high school. I was young, undisciplined, and had lousy study habits. I easily spent the equivalent of a twenty hour job goofing off, drinking, et cetera - the typical stuff a white, middle class kid does the first time he's given the freedom to. I earned mediocre grades until I changed my habits senior year, but I managed.

You sound as though you are older and wiser than I was, and you're clearly motivated. Something will suffer - most likely your personal life - but you can do it.

If you have a nine-to-five job*, as opposed to the work-as-long-as-it-takes-til-the-job-is-done job you'll have when you're an engineer, it should help.

* What's the origin of this expression? I've never met anyone with nine to five work hours. That would only be 7.5 hours with a half hour lunch.

Rob Campbell, PE
Finite Monkeys -

I can tell you of a few people who work nine to five hours, lawyers and bankers. I just bought a home and I am having one hell of a time trying to contact anyone, to top it off my lawyer gave me lip because she had to take some work home with her. Needless to say it gave me a good excuse to remind her who was paying for her service.
Government employees are another example, although they probably do 10 to 3 with an hour or two off for lunch.

Beggar

How old/mature are you? 22
How motivated are you? Very Motivated
Do you have a family? Nope
Are you prepared to deny yourself any leisure time outside of school breaks? Yes Iam
What's the nature of your job? If it's fairly mindless, that's one thing -- if it takes thought, judgement, and consideration, that's another. A: Im a merchandiser right now so i would say it involves a little bit of everything although like with everything its a repetitive task so it gets easy with time
How much flexibility to you have in your work schedule?

I get a lot of flexibility right now, so this aint a problem.

Do it for as long as you can. Some people are machines and can grind indefinitely, but most people burn out after a few semesters. If you pace yourself and don't get sick often you should be able to stay on track as you plan. Good luck!

Go for it. You are young, not tied down, so this is the easiest time for you to do this.

I'm working as an engineer about 40-45 hours per week, and going to law school in the evenings and weekends (9 credits at a time.) That means with studying, classes and work I am putting in 12-14 hours per day, 6-7 days a week. Yes, my social life sucks. Yes, my wife misses me (fortunately we do not have kids yet). Yes, my house and accoutrements are barely hanging together.

It sucks. I like to hunt, fish, camp, and I don't get to do any of that now, except during semester breaks. And my wife wants to do remodeling projects at semester breaks as well. But it is all relative; there are people in my classes who take 9-12 credits, don't work at all, go out and drink every night, and complain about how hard school is and how they don't have a life. I can't even talk to those people.

Do it now, so you will not regret it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back