Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this a trench & does OSHA apply ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yddkdd

Civil/Environmental
Sep 15, 2005
US
I am planning an addition to my home. My lot slopes to the back, so I am contemplating installing a 3-sided basement with access from the street. Due to site limitations, I do not have alot of room to accommodate the side slopes. So I am planning to excavate to get a working area, form up my walls with ICF block, then pour. All of the work will be done from the inside of the proposed walls, or from the outside at the top level without going into the excavation. (bracing, etc.)

So...

1. Is this a trench ? (see attachment)
2. Does OSHA apply if I have no employees and am doing the work myself ?

I know that OSHA has soils grades ABC, but my geotech report says that I can excavate vertically for 6'...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OSHA does not apply if you are doing the work yourself.

Check with your state requirements...they might have a trench law (mine does).

While OSHA doesn't apply, they still have some slope vs. materials guidelines that are reasonable and you could check again your angles.

This would probably not fit the definition of a "trench" but the potential for slope stability issues is there.

Actually not going into the legal 'Nitty Gritty's'of Applicability or Non-applicability.

This does come into a defined(confined space or restricted access space) for human occupancy

if this is anything deeper than 5' below grade and the shoring (side's sloping) does not allow quick/safe entry and/or Egress.

Other Forum Giants may further Guide indeed!

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

If the soil has never been excavated before, your wall slopes may be fine.

If you want to follow the letter of the law, which has been pointed out that you are not covered by, then excavate down 5 feet instead of 6 feet, then dig a 1 foot deep trench where the wall will be. Form it up, pour, then dig out the remaing 1 foot inbetween the walls.

Yes this is a trench by OSHA definition, but as everyone else has stated, you are doing the work yourself and not covered under OSHA's jurisdiction.

Since it your own and your working team's life at risk my earlier suggestion is still valid;I believe.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

OSHA's Trench Definition: "Trench (Trench excavation)" means a narrow excavation (in relation to its length) made below the surface of the ground. In general, the depth is greater than the width, but the width of a trench (measured at the bottom) is not greater than 15 feet (4.6 m). If forms or other structures are installed or constructed in an excavation so as to reduce the dimension measured from the forms or structure to the side of the excavation to 15 feet (4.6 m) or less (measured at the bottom of the excavation), the excavation is also considered to be a trench"

Unless you are digging out farther than 15 feet from a wall than it is a trench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back