Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this common in engineering? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calif

Structural
Jul 4, 2003
US
Good evening everyone:

I work for a small firm that does architecture and engineering. Out of the twelve people there, I am the sole staff engineer besides my employer. Everyone else is an architect, including the employer who is an architect and engineer. All I have is a EIT license and have done steel design mostly at this job using software. So far, no one has checked my work. Is this common? I do over design my work and do try the best I can to account for everything. My employer is not around much because he is constantly out going to meetings for jobs. I already designed a building that now has to be redesigned because of things I did not see. Luckly, the owner of the job got another engineer to look at the work and found many flaws in my design which was due to my lack of experience but I feel that the owner would have gotten a better product if someone had looked at it to see if it made sense. My employer who has more experience than I do, barely never looks at my work. He left it up to me and an architect to figure almost everything out. One other thing is that, the first year I worked there, I really worked hard because I knew I did not know much. I knew alot about nothing like I always say. Toward the end of the year, I did not receive a raise. I think it was because some of my projects were not done on time but it was difficult getting alot of work done in short periods of time. Last year I skipped alot of holidays, did alot of overtime without getting paid for the extra time I put in, and came in on Saturdays and Sundays to try to get work done faster. Is this common in building design firms? I feel like I am being handed a large amount responsibility yet I dont know enough and penalize for not knowing. It takes longer time for me to do things when you dont know how to do it and I put in the time to learn but I feel frustrated. I dont want to put extra time anymore because I am not going to get paid for it and if something is handed in late, I am not going to see anything for my efforts. This is a money issue but the only reason why it is is because I want to go back to school to get a master degree in structural engineering and I know currently I dont make enough to go back. Has anyone had experience similar to this when trying as a young engineer?

Kmat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can get your hands on the ACEC member directory, it has listings of many good consulting firms, their size, type of projects, ownership type, names of principles and addresses/phone numbersweb addresses.

This can filter out for you firms that aren't in your discipline. Mail out resumes (snail mail) and/or send via their websites. Many list job opportunities.

Calif,

Talk to your friends and family first. They usually know of companies hiring, or know of someone who knows of companies hiring.

Good luck.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Try to obtain a copy of SEAOSC Newsletter. There should be ads from structural engineering firms.

Also try the seaint.org website.

Update:

I got an interview with another firm on Friday. Wish me luck.

Calif

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

Hello everyone:

I got a second interview and have been waiting for two weeks for a second interview. I email and called by phone and found out that the person interviewing is out on vacation. Is this a bad sign?

Calif

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

It is a sign that it is summer, and they had a vacation planned.

Be social, when they get back, aske them where they went, etc. It will be a good ice breaker before you bombard him with when you get to do your second interview.

HI Calif, is not that I have a negative attitude, but I'll tell by self experience. I applied for a great company, they interviwed me, said everything on the interview was perfect.
The days passed, 1,2,...3 weeks or so, never call me. I call them, about 3 times after the 1-week. At the 3rd week or so, I called just to receive the notice that they have filled th position.
It was dissapointing for me and very un-proffesional from them, I had my hopes on that job.
So, call & bug them as many times as you want, it is your time, don't worry about how many time you do it (in fact tell them you might have other opportunities, but you want to know their resolution). They shall give a Yes or NO, I would say in 1-week or so after the interview, otherwise they are not doing their work or they don't care about you(that's what I learn)(if you notice the HR in charge took-off for vacation w/o caring about or telling someone about you or your interview, that's so unproffesional). Remember that you can be spending time hunting or searching at other companies.

Calif,

I would continue on with my search until I sign a contract. People say lots of things. Things change. They forget. Ultimately, it is you that suffer.

If they come back from vacation, and offer you a job, great. If they don't, at least you haven't wasted your time waiting.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Hello:

I did just that and got another interview last week on Wednesday. After the interview, I had to submit a sample calculations as well as a report for technical writing. Just sent it today. Hopefully, things will start changing.

Keep your fingers cross for me.

Calif

Good Afternoon everyone:

Just an Update:

I got an offer from the job interview I went to on that Wednesday. They are offering me a good package to come and the pay increase was much more than I expected. I am so excited. I have to call them back to see what my title in tails as a staff engineer. Now I have to break the news to my employer tomarrow. I also have to break the news to this head hunter that wants me to go interview with a company that does facilities and nuclear power plants(Doesnt sound interesting). He has been wanting me to interview for a while now but I have been so busy with work that I havent had the time to take off to check it out.

Take it easy guys

Calif

Thanks Dik, I am going to need it. It is a good company looking at it from the outside. Part of the policy working there is that their employees continue to educate themselves and they do offer help in that. Two more weeks I am there.

Calif

Boy have you made the right decision.

I once worked at a place that shares some attributes with your soon-to-be-former employer.

It's very, very bad.

To leave, end up with a *real* firm, *and* get a raise is very, very good.

Well done and congratulations.

--------------------
How much do YOU owe?
--------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back