Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this offer normal? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

manpower401

Geotechnical
Apr 22, 2005
US
I need your opinion about the job offer I received.

I am in the geotechnical engineering field. Recently, I had a job interview with an engineering company. Everything seemed to go well, coversations with staffs were delight, and the chief of the department seemed to approve me as a good fit for that position.

Before the end of the interview, the president made an offer. He offered an hourly rate for 40 hr/wk which is compose of 70% of my desired salary. Other 30% was filled with 1.5 times higher overtime rate for additional 5 hr/wk.
He told that the company expects me to work at least 45 hr/wk, and verbally guaranteed 45 hours/wk through the year.
The total would be close to what I wanted and I don't mind to work 45 hr/wk.

However, I don't understand why he doesn't match it with the basic hourly rate only if he can guarantee 45 hours?

Is he trying to take an advantage over me?
Even though I am a foreigner, I have 4 yrs of engineering experiences and they seem not have any problem with either my ability or nationality.

Am I overreacting?

Thanks for your input

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jay-
No; I read that as if works 45 hours, he gets only 88% of his desired salary. If he works 40 hours, he gets only 70%. No wonder this is so irritatingly confusing.
It would be a lot more honest if an employer simply required a 45 hour work week at a stated salary. I don't know of any engineers that work only 40hrs/wk.

Well, I did for a good part of the time I worked at Amada.
At times we also worked some long hours, but we got time off or other rewards for those efforts.

I referred to the post:
22 Apr 05 16:42
sorry for a mistake.
MintJulep was right.
basic salary takes about 84% and 1.5 OT for 5 hrs equates 16%.

Jay Maechtlen

Man you guys are scary. It is a sad state that so many see a 40+ hr work week as no big deal.

Those extra hours you are spending working are hours you're not spending living.

I work overtime when it's needed, and I've put in some very long weeks on occasion, but I work to avoid it.

If you're routinely working 40+, your company is mismanaged.

Work for a company that automatically expected 45+? Not a chance. Take it for now if you must, but don't let yourself get sucked into a mindset that it's OK.

Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

"All the world is a Spring"

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

StressGuy,
You are fortunate enough to be in an industry that doesn't require working employees to the max. In my line, probably 1.5 hours of each day is worked to pay for lawsuits=lawyers.

SacreBleu,

I hear your pain. Most cases, even if you KNOW you can prove your innocence in court, it costs less to pay a settlement.

Stress Guy I'm with you,

I'm lucky and I specifically set up my employment contract for 30 hours per week as our overtime is unpaid. I don't mind working 40-50 hour work weeks when projects come due but I will not offer up my life for my profession.

My fiance works in the computer field and it is moving towards being a profession. (they program medical systems) Their field has some distance to cover first though as she works up to 80 hrs / week while being a salaried position of 40 hrs/week. She has for several months at a time worked herself down to doing poorer per hour that the janitors in the building.

She has finally put her foot down as it is to the point she may as well be working for herself with those hours.

Manpower401, I am also a foreigner. However, I suggest you don't allow that to be a handicap. If you feel comfortable taking the job, go ahead. If you don't feel adequately compensated, you have choices. One is to improve yourself professionally. If you don't have a PE, work on it. Also, seek to participate in different kinds of projects so as to broaden your exposure and experience. If your company finds you indispensable, they would review and revise your compensation package accordingly. While you are working hard at what you have, open your eyes for other opportunities. There is a saying about digging yourself a new well before the one from which you are currently drinking dries up.

I see that this is an old thread, but I still wanted to comment for what its worth...

I agree with StressGuy. I have no desire to work over 40hours per week. My last employer would work you till you could see straight if you allowed it. My boss was a real "pusher". Thankfully, I've moved on to a place where a work week over 40 is rare, and my health problems was just the thing to make me realize what I was doing myself to even look for a better job.

If you're single, sure extra money or even extra hours just for showing your a "go getter high achiever" are great. But for most of us with families you end up with more stress than anyone should be asked to handle. These employers forget that working too many hours too often can lead to burn out, sleep deprivation, high blood pressure and possibly heart attacks or a stroke. And for those hours over 40 they are not really getting your "best work" becuase you're likely to be tired. What if you made a big mistake in a calculations on one of those late nights? Would the company really benefit in a situation like that. It's a shame that's a risk that most companies are willing to take.

Actually, the answer is usually simpler than that.

Ask yourself whether, when you are on your deathbed, whether you'll regret spending too little time at work or too little time at home.

TTFN

I have owned a company for 13 years plus. I never would consider an offer like this ...

We offer a salary (or hourly rate depending on the level) that is clearly spelled out, with all benefits. If an employer expects you to work 45 hours than at least he tells you. I do not like to see our employees work more than 40 because I htink you have to have a balance in your life, and I only ask for longer hours when it is necessary.

If a company is playing games at the beginnning, I agree with the posts above, it is a red flag ... imagine what may happen after you are there for a few years.

Good luck.

I think that the prospective employer in this case will later eliminate the overtime pay by claiming that the employee is in the exempt category and is expected to work whatever hours are necessary to do the job properly (for the base pay). I think that this particular job offer will turn out to be "bait and switch".

It should be spelled out (and kept on file) exactly what classification you are when hired: salaried/exempt, salaried/non-exempt or hourly, as well as the overtime rate (if it applies). This precludes them of taking advantage of you by changing your classification without your knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back