Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Is this possible with a dt and equations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

007bondy

Industrial
Aug 23, 2006
A1
I was thinking today about SW and its ability to use equations and design tables .
heres my idea
Assembly A is driven by a sketch Length ,width height etc
is there anyway to once the changes to the driving sketch is completed and the model rebuilt have soldworks export the results(dimensions) to a dt and have the specific configuration actually refer to the dt the next time that configuration is used ?
Im wondering if that would save a lot of computational time for complex assemblies?
thanks for your input
Brett

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think we all need more information on this.
How many parts is Assembly A made up of? The way you're stating it, it seems like only one...

EJC

No its an assembly of about 20 parts (its a practice ass for me)
The assembly is actually a rough version of a china cabinet
From the controlling sketch and equations I am able to change length ,height and width also i can change the size of the curve on each end of the cabinet. The curved glass doors also update accordingly.
I hope this clears up any misunderstandings
Thanks

A DT can be updated by changes made to a model if that option is selected. The DT just has to be opened and closed for the changes to be propagated across. Is your idea just to eliminate that step?

[cheers]

CbL
No my idea is once said config is finalised all the relevant dimensions are moved to the dt and instead of having to work out the dims each time that config is referenced (rebuilt), SW goes straight to the data stored in the dt and applies as required.
Cheers Lads

I think that’s what CBL said. Changing the model updates the dt. You just don’t see the update until you go into the dt. After that, any rebuild would reference that dt. It has stored the dimensions in the table.

Maybe I’m still confused.

ejc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back