Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is tinkering/getting hands dirty the next best thing to experience? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innocent Bystander

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2018
AU
Hi folks!

So I'm in college right now and started later at age 28. Halfway through now and while I'm looking to get an internship, I really want to start getting into the process as soon as I can considering I will be graduating in my early 30's. I know years of experience can't really be fast tracked, but I'm looking to find the best way possible to start really learning about the "art and craft" of engineering.

The best way I've thought about doing this is just getting stuck right in. As a mechanical, I'm taking a manual machining class at a tech school In the next few months so I can get a bit of hands on to see the other side of the theory and how everything all turns out. It will be interesting to see how this matches with my recently completed CAD course. I'm also starting to mess around with arduino which should introduce me to electronics and programming. I'm sort of hoping that by this time next year I can start tying it all together and make some sort of cool project that really tests my skills. I've also signed up to a Maker space in my area that has Lathes, Milling machines, electronics lab, laser cutter, pretty much anything you can think of so I will try and hone some skills there also. I am aware of the sometimes hostile Tradesmen<--->Engineer relationship, so I'm hoping some of these skills will help in being a better designer who can see things from boths sides!

I'm just wondering what anybody else recommends, has any experience in or has done themselves that might be helpful (or anything else I should be doing).

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scotty, that's the (main) reason I left my prior job... I felt the engineering skillset was simply getting too rusty for comfort. Cookie-cutter designs don't stretch the mind as much as I would like.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back