Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is U-stamping required based on ASME Sec.VIII? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuhyunOh

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2020
AU
I've done several works applying ASME Sec.VIII Div.1, without U-stamping.
Here I am told that U-stamping is mandatory by ASME code.

Is U-stamp mandatorily required by ASME Code, or is it depends on the project(based on owner requirement/national regulation)?
If it is not mandatory, could I know the specific section where it says (such as U stamp MAY required, instead of SHALL).

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometimes clients request vessels "built to" ASME code but not stamped, but these are typically lower than 15 psig MAWP.

If you've been building ASME vessels at > 15 psig without stamps...I think that's a problem

I do not see any problem with design and construction a pressure vessel using the rules of ASME VIII-1 but without stamp it.
You can use the rules of the Code as good engineering practice for design and for fabricate your vessel.

If you want to stamp it, than you shall follow all Code rules regarding Materials, Welds, Design calculations, Tests (NDE/Hydrostatic), etc.
However, if you just want rules for determine the wall thickness of a cylindrical shell or a good prcatice for cornner joint (for example) I do not see any problem with using the Code rules for it.

It depends on the law of the country that the vessel will be installed. In some countries such as New Zealand any internationally recognised code can be used. When ASME VIII is chosen, vessels are typically designed to be "in general compliance with ASME VIII" and are not U-stamped. The design is reviewed by an independant auditor to make sure it is safe.

In most of the US the law dictates that ASME VIII is the only choice and a U-stamp is mandatory.

Depending on the Jurisdiction, vessels can be designed and constructed and tested in accordance with ASME VIII, Div1 without a U Stamp. It is not a true ASME Section VIII, Div. 1 vessel because inspection and stamping and data sheets will not comply with the Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back