Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isloation of H.V motor and equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

streeta

Electrical
Dec 20, 2002
BE
Is there a ruling or something that states you must isloate the power side of the motor to be able to inspect the machanical equipment. We have a SAG mill which at the moment they only lock out the control side to inspect inside the mill. we only lock out the H.V when work on the motor itself is required.
Thanks
Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

streeta
you gonna have to tell every body where you are. The rules in Australia are a lot different from say US then say Europe.

It's a simple principle where your butt is concerned. If it can go wrong it will. If my crew provide control cct isolation only for a mechanical job and it went wrong I'll have lot of talking to do with the police, dept. of labour and the electrical inspectors

This was discussed in a thread on stop start stations a little while ago and huge number of possible scenerios were posted as too how the motor or drive could start even with a tagged out (locked out) stop switch.

Isolte the power source if people are involved is my earnest advice. (that includes say air, hydraulic power and a lot of processes)

Regards
Don

For USA, check out OSHA regulations on Lock-out, Tag-out. Other countries should have similar requirements. Always lockout the power source before working on anything, unless you need power to test an operation. Your company should have a written Safety Procedure for this an any other inspection routine.

Isn't the consequence of applying power to the motor similar whether you're working on the motor or the pump? I can't think of any reason to be less conservative when working on the pump. Sorry, I don't know any standards.

OSHA requires that the electrical power must be locked out prior to working on equipment, whether it is electrical or mechanical. You should also tag out the nearest valve upstream of the equipment if applicable. If you have a comprehesive Lock-Out/Tag-Out system in place this information should be stated. If it is not then you need to re-evaluate your Lock-Out/Tag-Out procedures and inform your Safety Manager as well.

Suggestion: Normally, a local disconnect switch within the motor sight is considered a ufficient safety precaution. Some places use additional precautions in terms of shorting cables that connect all phases into a short and also ground these cables. Depending on the location of work, there may be needed to place those cable on each side of the work locations. The less you trust the electrical equipment around you, the better for you and for your safety. There is never enough safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back