Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isolate and save as Parasolid

Status
Not open for further replies.

KITRACER

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2005
US
My job requires me to save a lot of Parasolids from Solidworks for import into Mastercam. I usually have an assembly and want to save one part from the assembly as a Parasolid with a specific coordinate system. Right now my process is as follows

right click part
select isolate
name and save display state
select display state
file
save as
change save as type to parasolid (*.X_T)
select options
change output coordinate system
select okay
select save
say no to question "One or more parts are hidden or suppressed. Do you want to resolve them?"

I already asked for an ehancement request to make this faster, but I'm not holding my breath considering I cant even get 4 of my SPR's taken care of.

Idealy I would control select a part and a coordinate system in an assembly, and have a shortcut key that when pressed would prompt me for a file name to use (with the assembly name already shown and selected in the dialog ie. "Part.X_T" allowing me to add Hold 1 to the end to make it "Part Hold 1.X_T")

Is there a way to make a macro that does any of this? If so, is there a company that would do this for me? What do they charge?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of MasterCAM do you use because MasterCAM X will read in native SWX files.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

I do not use Mastercam X, I use 9.1. I tested X, and it was very unstable and I have since stopped paying for subscription service. X is not an option.

CorBlimeyLimey I think what you are saying is to place the coordinate system in the part using edit part in the assembly. That sounds like a great idea, but I would still like the macro

Thanks guys for responding so quickly

I am suprised to hear that Mastercam X is unstable, but I don't use it so will take your word for it.

Reagarding the co-ord system, when working in an assy, I always start a new part (with or without geometry) outside of the assy, and then insert it into the assy. That way the part is always oriented to its own logical origin and ref planes. The parts ref planes are used to mate the part in the assy. From there on (if required) the geometry of the part can be associated to the geometry of other parts in the assy.

[cheers]

I may not understand correctly.
I have not used MasterCAM, but why not use a .sldprt instead of .x_t?

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Mastercam 9.1 doesnt do well when importing Solidworks assemblies. For one thing, It places one part on every level, and doesnt give it a name. Then when you try to consolidate a bunch of tooling to one level, it shows that there is entities still on the other levels. I have found that it is best to import just the part. If there is an issue with clearance, then sometimes I will bring in some of the tooling.

MasterCAM X is very stable. We have been using it since it was released with no problems at all. In fact, version X was a breath of fresh air from version 9.0. We do all our G-Code generation via MasterCAM X......

Their are many ways to make popcorn: one can shake the popper or shake the stove....end result is popcorn.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back