Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isolated buck/boost converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeL

Automotive
Nov 11, 2010
US
Does anyone have a suggestion for a controller IC for an isolated buck/boost converter? External switch OK.

Basic specs:
Input - 5VDC to 16VDC
Output 9VDC @ 2 amp

Thanks,
Luke

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you done any searching yourself?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Yes, I'm looking at the LM2587S-ADJ, but would be interested in other opinions - there are a gazillion controllers available form all the semi vendors these days.

Luke

There are many good ones. It's hard to justify not using a fully designed implementation out of National's design workbench area.

Click a button and you can have the entire kitted system sent to you with a circuit board.

Perhaps they don't have isolation.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Hello.
isolated.....
Can do 2 stages:
1st stage 1:2 transformer connected to H-bridge (with 4 power N-FETs) producing double ouput voltage. Can easy run with 500kHz, open loop (add few hundred mV for diodes drop).
Output will be 10 to 32V.
(check IR chips with oscilator inside and bootstrap for "all N-FETs")

Then Buck down to 9V with old and robust Unitrode chip UC2573 and external P-FET (say 50V, 8A).
I did 10000000 Bucks with this chip - never problem.

LM2587 - need to do isolated feedback (opto or something like this...). Plus - think what to do with wide input range. (I won't use this National chip)

thx

A simple isolated flyback supply should be up to the job.

It just requires a standard straight out of the application notes circuit, and suitably designed magnetics.

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up using the National LM2588-ADJ. Proto9 boards are being made as we speak.
Lukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back