Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isolating specific solid from ôModelö Reference sets option in NX8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RareEarth

Computer
Nov 15, 2010
HU
Hi All,

I have more than one solid made by different features in my part (i.e. Extrude-Solid1, revolve-Solid2, and sweep-Solid3). While working with assembly, all these solids are gets automatically added to “Model” reference set, ideally this is correct. But my requirement is to exclude specified solid (i.e. Solid2) not to participate in this automated process. Of course it will be a part of “Entire” reference.

The one way I know it is to work with layers, where I can shift the target solid to any layer and hiding it at assembly level.

Does any one know how to achieve it with reference sets, without manual intervention?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Create a new reference set, add the objects you want to appear in the assembly. In the assembly, change the reference set used; this can be done by right clicking on the component and choosing "replace reference set" (also, the reference set to use can be chosen at the time the component is added to the assembly).

While working in the part file (part is displayed and work part) new geometry will NOT be automatically added to your new reference set.

www.nxjournaling.com

and to exclude the solid body that you do not want in the Model reference set,
you need to go into the reference set as if you are adding something to it and de-select the body
using the shift key and left mouse button simultaneously as you pick that body.

Thanks Cowski and Jerry!

As you know these both option needs manual efforts to achieve the required result. It becomes complex when you have more than 3000 parts to do this. Whereas I am looking for some automated process, where I can assign some sort of information to this solid by assigning Attribute or assigning display property like phantom etc. and NX takes care about reference sets.

It will be a great help if you guys or someone can suggest any innovative idea.

Instead of using the Model refernce set, where solid bodies automatically get added to it -
You may want to use reference sets with a differnt name (under Add New Refernce Set) and make sure add components automatically is not checked on

I agree with Jerry, create a new reference set and put the objects (solids, wire frame, etc.) that you want to display in your assembly into it.
When you say 3000 parts do you mean 3000 bodies in one part or do you mean 3000 individual part files.
If you mean 3000 individual part files then it would take just as much time to create a new reference set as it would be to assign information to each solid.

Regards
Jurgen
NX8 win64bit

Dear Jerry and Jurgen,

There are 3000 different parts, and adding the newly created solid to non-Model reference set is a good idea!

Automatic inclusion of solid to Model reference set is perfect; the only problem I am facing is to isolate a specific solid, being taking part in this process (we can achieve this manually). In future users may create more solids in these files and I want based on information attached to these solids NX must separate it with respective reference sets. Hope I was able to convey my requirement, please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back