Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Isolation Joint b't'n Asphalt and Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is there a product similar to flexcell that is placed between a concrete structure and new asphalt pavement?

Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I went out last night to see what the city does with asphalt to concrete curb and they don't do anything. I think I will avoid a bond breaker and make sure the curb has a tack coat below the asphalt layer (I should have left the typo... I was using a tack cat.)

Dik

Attack cat? Like the time I had to take our Sammy to the vet?

NYSDOT is specifying hot melt asphalt joint adhesive at top course cold joints, including curb. Upstate NY certainly counts as cold climate.

Typically we just tack coat for asphalt to concrete interface (curb and gutter, concrete pads, etc.).
Unless for airports, they require a routed joint (after paving) with joint sealer between the two.

dik...just prime the concrete before asphalt placement. If you transition from asphalt to concrete in the traffic lane slope the concrete at 15-20 degrees off vertical so when traffic rolls over it pushes the asphalt against the concrete

Thanks, Ron... that's what I did... not usually involved with asphalt... but had to repair some roadway that was cut out for access to a concrete wall. Used 4" HL3 over 12" Cmpt Gran 'A'. Should be good for small trucks and passenger vehicles.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back