Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Isolation joint required for a concrete pier in a concrete wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBEIT

Structural
Sep 9, 2013
US
I have a 4' concrete pier that will have loads of approx. 50K vert. and 2K horizontally and is supported by a 1'-0" thick spread footing. The pier is located inside a concrete wall of equal height on a 8" strip footing. Just curious I need to isolate the footings at all or if I should plan on the contractor doing both footings in one pour and then coming back and doing the wall and column with or without an isolation joint between them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I vote for monolithic pour.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Still monolithic pour. If this is a frost wall type scenario, isolating the pier is going to earn you some contractor disdain.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I wonder how will this be the analysis if poured monolithic. will you consider the wall transferring loads between concrete piers (like combined foundations) or will you just assume the pier carrying the weight of the wall? or will you neglect the wall effect completely and assume it's carrying it's own weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back