Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Isometrics....Help! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

way

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2001
US
I am trying to draw piping Domestic Waist and Vent isometrics, and I am not doing so well. I usually switch to the SE viewpoint and go from there. I have troubles when I change directions, and start trying to draw fittings. Any Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Isometric piping is drawn in 2D usually.
To draw isometrically in 2D go to the Tools pull down menu(ac2000) and select Drawing settings. Set the snap to isometric. You now have an isometric cursor and you can toggle the 3 main drawing planes with F5.
It is a little difficult to dimention isometrically but I have seen some good lisp programmes that will set it up for you.

Good Luck
Peter.

You can also use 3D and set your view to the isometric plane you want before plotting. I do this when details are needed for some of our booster pumps, lift stations, or water plants. If you decide to go this route, investigate the capabilities of the extrude to path command. It will save you hours of work in both cases. Blueprint has the best answer for 2D.

The old fashioned way of changing iso view is

1 type snap
2 type s for style
3 type i for iso
4 change snap if req'd
then cross hair will go into iso mode then ctrl e will change the orientation of the crosshairs

when finished repeat snap command and instead of i type s
which will return to normal mode

Sounds like everyone's covered it pretty well. A couple of final items: Use ellipse/Isocircle for "holes"; avoid "offset"; construct tangents on ellipses;after setting "isoplanes" use "ortho" for basic box construction.

One last thing; if you do a lot of Iso's get an add-on program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back