Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Issue with solid parts - is it the graphics card's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swixcap

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2011
NO
Hi.

This winter I have gotten a fatal problem when using NX 7.5 which makes modelling quite impossible - I can not make solid parts because the faces get messed up. I guess the attached picture shows everything. That is what happens to any solid part (the picture shows an extruded sketch of a circle).

I am using an unsupported graphics card, so it points towards this being a problem with the card. However, what makes it strange is that I have been using this same computer with the same graphics card for almost a year and just now this winter have the problem occured. I did not change any settings or files prior to the problem, and now nothing seems to fix it. I have tried to reinstalled NX 7.5, but no change.

Do you have any suggestion as to what the cause of this problem is, or is it without doubt a problem with the graphics card?

Thanks you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, try this.

Go to...

View -> Camera -> Edit...

...and push the button labled 'Fit Planes to Extents' in the section of the dialog labeled 'Clipping'. Now hit OK and then do an MB3 'Fit'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

try changing your graphics driver. with an unsupported card that's the only course of action. i've seen it many times that even if the card was working in the past, newer versions of NX require newer drivers.

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5, Beta NX8.0.0.15

What graphics card do you have and which driver version/date code?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Computers are not my strongest field, but here is the driver details:

Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset Family
Adapter string: Mobile Intel(R) GMA 4500MHD
Total available graphics memory: 1695 MB

I am working on an Asus UL30a laptop, so I don't know what graphics card is integrated, I've just been told that Asus uses unsupported graphics cards.

@namdaci45: Additional info: I was using NX 7.5 during the fall and I'm using 7.5 now. I updated the driver after the problem occurred and before that the premious update was last summer. How would I go about changing the driver?

Thanks

change the driver by installing a different one. I would download all the graphics drivers you can find for your system and start with the oldest.
Install one driver and then test. When you find one that works leave it liek that.

Onboard Intel chipsets are the worst when it comes to graphics problems with NX. I see customers that have problems with them all the time and there's only two solutions, try different drivers or get a certified card (which you can't do with most laptops).

Anthony Galante
Senior Support Engineer

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.2.5, Beta NX8.0.0.15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back