Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Issues Again With Exploded Views - JohnRBaker PLS HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag11

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2015
US
Again I'm having issues with Exploded Assemblies. I posted another thread - I only got one reponse. It did not help. Attached is a file showing Exploded/Unexploded of the same Arrangement. As you can see certain parts will fly off the part when the assembly is exploded. I deleted and reestablished constraints thinking I was crazy.

This has happened in another assembly - mates go crazy - even parts that are supposed to be suppressed automatically reappear - even though I can not click on them - and they are still suppressed in the tree.

JohnRBaker what is going on here? I'm using NX 7.5. I'm new at NX - and some things are very hard to figure out.

We are supposed to be moving to NX 9 - I hope things work a ton more logically and without issues!!!!

Jerry

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bf349f8e-bcfb-4122-a5d6-653b01666c4b&file=Parts_Move_During_Explode.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried to get some help from GTAC as this sounds like a potential problem with the software?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John

I'm new to UG NX. I have no clue who/what GTAC is. Is this like a VAR? I highly doubt anyone is going to "Fix" NX 7.5. I just can't believe I can not get an answer, nor find anyone else that has this same problem. In the three weeks since I started using NX 7.5 it's happen to me twice.

John,

I also read a forum post where you stated that NX users should never use Reference Sets. I find this hard to believe. First, why are they still around if someone that represents Siemens says you shouldn't use them, and second I see a great need for them.

Let me give you an example - a sheetmetal part that has two states flat and formed. In some drawings you need to show the flat for the punch process, and then of course you need to form this part and use in your assembly. How do you do this using arrangements? You can not have arrangements in parts! I see the problem though. I created a view in a drawing that had the Flat reference set selected - when I got back to my assembly the Flat reference set was showing up in my assembly. That will not work.

How do you manage reference sets within assemblies? You can not add a reference set to a suppression set can you?

What steps did you follow to create your exploded view?

Nobody said "never use reference sets". Reference set use is perfectly valid and vital for filtering what part geometry shows up in the assembly. John, and others, are against using reference sets in assemblies to manage components. In other words, don't use a reference set when an arrangement will do the job. The issue usually crops up among long time UG/NX users (or those trained by them) who used reference sets to manage assemblies before arrangements were an option.

www.nxjournaling.com

BTW, GTAC is the Siemens support group who answers the 800-number when you call for help.

And cowski is correct, I've NEVER said "NEVER use Reference Sets". I have however recommended that one try to avoid using Reference Sets to control which Components are displayed when an Assembly, while being used as a sub-Assembly, is being added to a top level Assembly. As cowski has stated, one should first exhaust your usage of Arrangements first before resorting to using a Reference Set.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back