Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with Sframe (Periods and Base Shears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelPenaWSE

Structural
Sep 2, 2013
CA
Good afternoon.

I am working on a one story steel moment resisting frame in Ontario, Canada.
I am currently modeling and analyzing the structure in Sframe.
I am trying to understand why my hand calcs are not comparable with the FEA from Sframe. It's a simple structure with no irregularities.

Please see below;
Equivalent static force procedure yields a base shear of 92 kN.
The period of the structure based on 1.5Tcode is 0.46 seconds. (1.5*3.1s = 0.46s)
The calcualted seismic weight of the structure is 1,785 kN.
Class C soil, Normal importance, Rd of 1.5, Ro 1.3.

Sframe is showing a period of 1.12s (97.7% mass X) and 0.96s (89.7% mass Y).
Seismic force in X-dir is 104 kN and Y-dir is 102 kN.
These results are when I fully fix the columns at the base.
We are hoping to pin the base of the columns but if I model it as a pinned base, the periods and base shears increase. I find this odd since the higher the period, smaller the force - Response Spectra analysis.

We are calling out a 38mm steel deck (without concrete). This should behave as a flexible diaphragm hence I have modeled it as a "General Diaphragm" per Sframe options.
According to their help menu, "General Diaphragms" have all joints constrained in the XY plane.

I am just hoping for some guidance. I don't really know how to force Sframe to analyze the structure with a user defined period of 0.46s. This is the maximum period I am allowed to use per Code recommendations.

Also, for those who are experts on Sframe, if you could share a few tips, that would be great. This is clearly my first model and there is not much info out there, specially for flexible diaphragms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back