Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

It appears that the Marines may have 'misplaced' an F-35 figther jet... 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
U.S. asks for help finding missing F-35 fighter jet after pilot ejects during 'mishap'

An excerpt from the above item:

A U.S. fighter jet’s stealth abilities appear to be working too well, with authorities forced to ask the public for help finding an F-35 that went missing somewhere over South Carolina when the pilot ejected because of a “mishap.”

Joint Base Charleston, an air base in North Charleston, said it was working with Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort to "locate an F-35 that was involved in a mishap" Sunday afternoon.

The pilot was able to safely eject from the aircraft, an F-35B Lightning II jet, and was taken to a local medical center in stable condition, it said in a Facebook post around 5:35 p.m. ET.

The 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing — the jet belongs to one of the unit's training squadrons — confirmed Sunday's "mishap" and that "the pilot had safely ejected from the aircraft."

"The search-and-recovery efforts for the aircraft are ongoing, and we are thankful to the agencies assisting in this effort," Captain Joe Leitner, the spokesperson for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing, said. "The mishap is currently under investigation."

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Perhaps they will also find the nuke they lost in the search for this airplane.

So the online definition of "Mishap":

mis·hap
/ˈmisˌ(h)ap/
noun
an unlucky accident.
"although there were a few minor mishaps, none of the pancakes stuck to the ceiling"

Maybe revise that to:
"although the pilot is laying on his back staring at the ceiling, the lost plane is probably a pancake in the woods somewhere"

I am reminded of a Dilbert strip long ago, where Dilbert invented a cloaking device, and then couldn't find it.

I understand the aircraft is 'stealth' design... I would have thought they would have a 'tracker' of some kind...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

There are a lot of small lakes in the area.
Odds are the plane is in one of them.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Nothing to worry about. A crack team of top operatives is assisting in the search.

largo_vfxbbz.jpg

"Two hours north"...for the airplane, car, or foot? It's a distance, why not report it as such? Typical damn media.

The media knows the majority of the audience don't own or operate supersonic capable stealth fighter/bomber aircraft.

Yes, but what is wrong with miles, for Americans? If anywhere else, kilometres. I do understand that they have to dumb everything down to suit their audience.

Book a flight. Do you care how many miles or how many hours? Sometimes time is more appropriate as it represents the expenditure of an irreplaceable asset. Miles? Is it miles for a person with a plane or helicopter or true road miles? They might already know the time it takes and not the distance.

Keys have been cloaked since the dawn of time. If I lose them, I need to know where they are, not how far away they are.

You know how long it took to find them and not the number of footsteps taken to do so.

They should have contacted the seismograph people, they probably had a pretty good read on it.

Some fun headlines about this:

Military Personnel Seen Wandering Forest Pressing Button On F-35 Key Fob

Military Announces Lost F-35 Was Carrying Epstein Client List.

Owning a jet makes everything more efficient, including finding lost pets in Saskatchewan? ...Three days journey yonder?

They violated the FAA unmanned aircraft rules:

over 250 grams without a Remote ID
over 55 pounds
beyond line of sight
not operating in a FRIA
not transmitting Remote ID.

Also this week 2 pilots killed by midair.

FAA on top of things as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back