Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It was suggested to us that Solid W

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve111

Structural
Apr 3, 2001
CA
It was suggested to us that Solid Works would be a good software package to model temperature loads on buildings and building elements. Various materials, concrete, steel, masonry, aluminum, and various elements, walls, curtain walls, roofs, building frames. The output needs to provide information on dimensional changes, stress at points of connection, stress through the element, with various changes in ambient air temperature. If anyone is familiar with this type of application re: Solid Works, we would look forward to your comments. Thank-you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SolidWorks does not do this alone. You would need to look into the Cosmos/Works FEA add-in for SolidWorks. They work well hand-in-hand. The only downside I have seen with Cosmos/Works is in the use of shell elements. By the sounds of it, you would not be using these types of elements for your analysis.

You would really need to discuss this with and FEA expert. I would think, since you are analyzing building structures, you would use simplified elements such as beam elements versus using solid modelling. The Cosmos/Works package does not incorporate these simple elements. We use the full version of the SRAC software, Cosmos/M, for most of our FEA work. It is better suited to shell elements and simplified elemets such as beam elements.

I would check out their software and have them give you a demo suited to your needs. You can check them out at
Hope this helps... DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

With relationship the shell elements, that type of problems we can find?
We worked with Cosmos/Works 7.0 and we obtained excellent results and improvements.

I have not installed Cosmos/Works 7.0 yet. The shell elements did not work that well for the analysis of our large weldment assemblies (at least in previous versions). We will probably stick with Cosmos/M for our analyses since we have written programs to automate the creation of the model, definition of the regions, parameters and meshing. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com
While I welcome e-mail messages, please post all thread activity in these forums for the benefit of all members.

We are running Cosmos Works 7.0 and Design star. I was recently informed that the calculations from Design star differ by as much as 50% on the same setup. Therefore, depending on how accurate you need your calculations to be, it may be worth the money to go ahead an purchase the full blown Design Star.

You really need to validate what you are doing by making sure that their verification problems meet your analytical needs. DimensionalSolutions@Core.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back