Italian engineer in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexatus

Structural
Jun 18, 2008
IT
Hi all,

I'm a junior structural engineer (3 years) and soon i'll become full engineer (5 years). I study at Federico II of Naples (ITALY).

I have a dream: go to work in USA. And this dream could become true in january 2009.

Have you any tip for me? Do you think an italian engineer could find problems in USA? Is there a big difference between italian DM / Eurocodes and american AISC? Can i find a work there or will it be hard for me?
(As you can see, I'm not so skilled with english...)

I would like to thank you in advance. :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was going through my father's papers after he died. Among the items I found was his immigration file.

He cam from Germany to Canada with a bachelor's in engineering. He applied several times to be allowed entry into the U.S., and was always denied.

He then went to McGill and got a Ph.D. He was then immediately accepted for entry into the U.S.

While a PhD certainly helps, one of the first things the reviewers are going to ask themselves (or should ask themselves) is:
* Will this person improve the quality of life in this country?

In other words, do you have a skill that is currently in demand in the US? PhDs are often admitted more readily because they are trained as researchers, and regardless of the chosen field, researchers are considered a good group of people to get and keep a hold of.

For example, if you were a master glassblower and that was a technique lost in the US, the smart reviewer would more seriously consider your request to enter.

Does it actually work this way? I cannot say with any certainty, but it sounds reasonable...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Lexatus,

I myself am a foreigner working in the US though my first language is English.

As long as your english is good then I do not see a problem. There are plenty of places in need of engineers over here.

You will have problems getting a Senior engineer role in some companies though as you do not have a PE. Some states will not let a foreigner get a PE.

As for codes, I would say that they are very different. Firstly most work is done over here in feet and inches.

Check out the latest steel code at:

It will be a lot of hard work getting used to things in the first couple of weeks but it is well worth it.

This is my 3rd country and my 4th city that I have lived in and it has all been very worthwhile.

Good luck.

Lots of large corporations sponsor H1B visas. go to US immigration web site and learn all about it.
The other thing, you could start applying for visa lottery, I sense that the US immigration always picks applicants from western europe (understand white europeans to populate the US) - that was cheap, but hey, I could not help it.

You could dig your Italians ancestors and for sure you will find one somehwere in New york or Philadelphia. Italians are fairly powerful in the US, you'll get here in a heartbeat if one of them can sponsor you.

Unless your name is Matterazi, then we may think twice before we get your butt in here.

Welcome to the US my friend, stick to the dream, this is the best place to work on earth. I should know, I am an immigrant myself.

Be warned, the coffee is awful here, bring your own espresso machine along with you. on the positive side,we do have decent pasta.

forgot to mention,
A few years ago, an Italian diplomat wrote a best seller (in Italy) called "un Italiano en America", check it out.

cry22,

re: "...this is the best place to work on earth" I must respectfully disagree - you only get 2 weeks holidays!

Also Espresso Coffee machines are cheap in the US so it may be easier to buy one here. I found that there were a couple of good italian espresso brands available in the supermarket.

CSD
speak for yourself,
I get 4 weeks plus comp time. Just depends on how much you negiotiate when you walk into the door.

So next time you change jobs, just say that you have this vacation package that you'd like them to match, if they need you that bad (most of the time they do), they will throw in the 2 extra weeks.

Good luck.

Oh, put the vacation thing on the table AFTER they make you the offer, now if you think you only worth 3 weeks, then you may not want to push it.

Meanwhile, i've done some research. Seems that USA Government wants to rise up the H1B number (up to 140 000). I hope that an engineer and a biologist won't have problems getting one.

I'm very curious about USA engineers, about their know-how level. I hear that USA education isn't so perfect. I don't know, but I find your handbooks to be very good, very detailed, with a lot of worked examples. And I could say the same for ASCE and AISC provisions (and they are very loooog, longer that Eurocodes and Italian DM '08). No, I think your young engineers are prepared. Expecially (I think) those from MIT, Stanford and Berkley.

I've read a Workinkg Report who has said engineering and construction sectors are always on top, with a lot of work offers. Good! ^_^

A question: what is a "PE"? And why I could have problems getting Senion Engineer?

Guys, thank for you info!

On the average, I would say the US is starting to lag behind some other countries at the grade school level. That said, by the time a student makes it into the field he's typically of a higher-than-average caliber or has managed to repair whatever educational damage was inflicted upon him/her earlier in life.

Dan - Owner

PE is Professional Engineer license. Like the UK's "Chartered Engineer", if you know anything about that.

In your field, you will need one. Info is here:

To take the licensing exam you will need 4 years experience working under another PE and also the "Fundamentals of Engineering" exam. You will also need to prove to your state professional engineering board (whichever state you end up in) that your undergraduate education is equivalent to or better than an accredited program in the U.S. Judging from other reports on this website, this can be difficult, regardless of the bad international reputation U.S. schools may have. Not impossible, but difficult. You should probably pick a likely state and get in touch with their board to start this process early.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Nothing useful to add, I just felt the need to share that after I opened the NSPE "how to get licensed" page to write the post above, it's now showing up at the bottom of my screen as "How to Get Lice..."

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Hi all, once again,

firstly I would like to give my thanks to cry22 for his tip on Beppe Severgnini’s “Un italiano in America”. He is an Italian writer who worked for The Economist and wrote this book on his experience in USA, where he lived for 1 year (spring ’95 to spring ’96).
I read it quickly and enjoyed the reading. He gave me a nice “open window look” on this marvelous country. The Americans people seem very kind; at least this was his impression (but many people confirmed me that). He lived in Georgetown, 34th street.

So, let’s talk about work and engineering now. In my last holydays I read the first chapters of ASCE 7-05 – Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures. What to say… there are differences between ASCE and EuroCodes or Italian Codes, but nothing of impossible. The “way of think” the structures, if I can say so, is the same. However, as csd72 said, I have to make practice with feet and inches.
Then I read more about PE and "Fundamentals of Engineering" exams. The required knowledge is quite big; as a structural engineer I don’t know how chemistry could help me in my profession. But, after 43 exams (25 in 3 years of Bachelor and 18 in 2 years of Master of Science), one more, one less… unfortunately judging feedbacks it seems difficult to pass.
There is a thing not completely clear to me: if I obtain a H1B visa, can I start to work as engineer? Is my MSc title accepted immediately or do I need a further examination?
Lastly, if possible, have you any hint on which state to select when I transfer to USA? Florida seems a wonderful place to live in, but what about work? District of Columbia and New Jersey, instead, seem good for earning cash.

I see that this post is quite long. Excuse me. :)

Lex,

Cross-discipline knowledge comes in handy more often than one would first believe. I do not know what happens on a daily basis for structural engineers, but I imagine knowing how certain additives to concrete might affect the steel rebar might be useful. Or how about corrosion issues when dissimilar metals come into contact with each other? A firm grasp on basic chemistry would be quite useful in such circumstances. You may not be able to determine what effect a certain chemical in the concrete might have on that rebar, but you'll be aware of the potential for an interaction, which should make you ask someone who is able to determine the effect.

Dan - Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back