Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ITE type 5HK , 5kV 1200/5 CT search 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkjason

Industrial
May 9, 2012
US
Our customer is giving us a temp power feed from his existing plant. The spare brkr is on a 1200A frame and has 75/5 CT's Our temp power draw will be in the 800A range.

Therefore I am looking for a set (3) of 1200/5 CT's for an ITE 5kV switch gear. It was originally built in May 1965 so probably a 5HK series. These are the round CT's vs. the bar type. There are resources for new CT's but the lead time is prohibitive. I have searched the web for possible remanufactured/used and have not come up with anything yet. I know there are places out there but I'm having trouble finding them. Can anyone suggest a source? In desperate need. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks dpc
I'm not certain we can use toroidal CTs in this application as we will be running 3 500MCM /ph. It may make it a little more difficult to support the CT. Of a bigger concern is convincing the customer to allow their use as they are an operating utility. Generally, as such they are resistant to a singular modifications.
Thanks for the link and I'm still hopeful somebody out there has the orignal style CT's in their back room.

If I remember correctly these CT's were made by Instrument Transformer prior to them being purchased by GE. Style 675. Perfect fit except you required slightly longer mounting bolts as the mounting flange was a little thicker. Any used breaker house has them, contact Zog at the link shown in th previous post. Many of the ITE lineups I have dealt with had dual tapped CT's for some reason. Usually 75/150, 150/300 or 400/800, etc. Easy way to tell was to note the current meter movements were 2.5 Amp not the typical 5 Amp. Always found that an odd coincidence. Maybe it was the same design engineer.

Missed this thread, I was at IEEE in Orlando all week. I stock those new and reconditioned/tested if you still need them.

dpmac
Thanks for the great information. The CT's currently in use in this SG are single tap but I find the information provided very informative, useful and interesting. I'm afraid I have worked predominantly new gear only over the past 40 years and haven't run into this specific configuration before. Kind of fun to learn something new. Again thanks and next stop Zog.

Zogzog
Be calling you soon.

ZogZog
Called the office of CBsales but how would I get you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back