Jack screw material and size selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sedki.Chemkhi

Chemical
Apr 16, 2019
AE
Good day,
The engineering team specified jack screw to be installed with spectacle blind 1500 RF & 2500 RF & API 6A 6B type RTJ.
I did not find clear source to specify the material of construction, size, length and coating type.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding material of construction, the Jack Bolt material should be the same as the flange bolts, which you have not told us about ...

You have not told us about the sizes of the piping

Of course I am guessing here, because you provide so little information, but some common JB materials include:

Carbon Steel Jack Bolts : A193 Grade B7, A320 L7
Alloy steel Jack Bolts: SCM435, C10B21, C10B33, ASTM A193 Grade B16
Stainless Steel Jack Bolts: A193 B8M, A193 B6, A193 B7m, A193 B8

Sedki, ,,, You ask for strangers to tell you the "size, length and coating type" ????

Isn't that a lot to ask and impossible for us to do without more information ?

Is this your first "grown up" job dealing with piping ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

MJCronin
Thank you for the response. I am sorry if I missed all the details.
I have two flange types: -2 IN B 16.5 A105 RF 1500 & 2500 rated, - 2 1/16 IN API 6A 6B type A 105N 5000 rated.
I know that jack screw is recommended for big flange sizes, but it was specified in the beginning of the project and I cannot change it now.
I specified same stud bolt material A 193 B7 M. But my subcontractor is saying it should be carbon steel alloy. I am not sure what is the reason.
I saw in some references that jack screw should be zinc plated or galvanised. But my vendor is sayin it will damage the hole treading.
For 2 IN, B- 16.5 A105 RF 1500 rated vendor is giving jack screw 1/2 IN 140 MM & for 2500 1/2 IN 160 MM. But coating material is still under discussion.
For 2 1/16 IN API 6A 6B type A 105N 5000 rated the flange was supplied without jack screw, It will be returned to vendor for drilling, he proposed 5/8 IN jack screw size and hole size 19 MM. I have to specify the length and the material of construction because the jack screw will be supplied by another bolt supplier.

My piping engineer left the company and I have to guide the procurement team. That is the whole story.

Thank you in advance for guidance.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back