Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jagged curves when exporting a PDF & TIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

albates1972

Automotive
Feb 10, 2010
US
I am getting jagged curves whenever I export a PDF or a TIF of a dwg. The curves that are jagged are dashed and phantom lines. They only appear on the PDF or TIF file. My display is normal.

The left view seems to be OK, but the other two are a problem.

I am sure this is an easy fix but it escapes me now.

Thanks,

Allen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it appears that you're exporting a Drawing Sheet, go to the bottom of the Export PDF/CGM dialog and in the section titled 'Settings' expand the item labeled 'Drawing Sheet' and change the 'Image Resolution' to something other than 'Draft'. If it's a simple Drawing, go ahead and use 'High', but if it's very large and complex with a lot of very small detail, using 'High' may significantly increase the amount of time that it takes to produce the PDF/CGM file output and so try 'Medium' or 'Low' to see if these results are acceptable.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Note that I responded before I saw your note that you're running NX 5.0, therefore my comments only apply to the PDF dialog and not the CGM dialog (which was changed to be the same as the PDF dialog starting in NX 6.0).

As for exporting TIFF, I'm surprised that you're not getting exactly what you're seeing on the screen as .tif is a bitmap of the display. Have you tried JPEG or PNG and see if you get a different result?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

No difference in using "High" resolution.

I am using File>plot, "Advanced Plot"

Print tab: TIFF export file
Created profile w/ 600 DPI, Mono, Portrait, Uncompressed, no background color & Invert white objects

Current version: NX 5.0.4.1

Same result.

Within export PDF, I tried:

Print properties: Size (full scale & scale factor 0.33)
Unhighlighting "export raster images".

All scenarios produced the same image.

I put in a request from GTAC and they are in process of looking at it.

I will reply back later with the answer.

Thanks

FYI,

After downloading an updated graphics driver, I was getting mixed results with the display of the PDF's & TIF's. It seems that I can only create about 5 before things start going bad.

And the Advanced Plot within the Plot feature seemed to never work for me.

So it looks like it might be an graphics card issue. I do have an old computer (Dell Precision 670). But I have a 64bit waiting to be setup, so maybe this problem will be in the past after that.

Allen

Maybe a long-shot but try selecting the problematic view.
Right click and select 'Style'.
Then drop the 'tolerance' and see if that improves it?

Jon,
I was able to get the tolerance smaller (.064) from (.16), but not go down to zero.

I am still getting the same result. I did run a Journal program that we use for our dwg's yesterday on another asm and it looked good.

I hate not being able to duplicate the problem on a consistant basis. If I have to I will get another person to create my PDF's for me on the bad dwgs.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Allen

Perhaps you could plot to a postscript file, and then change that to a PDF with GSView/Ghostscript?
I haven't used UG in a while, but that's worked for me with other programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back