Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JANTX Zener Components in SPICE Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRAyres

Electrical
Mar 20, 2008
US
I have a couple of JANTX components (Zener diodes), specifically 1N6314 and 1N6318. I need to implement them in a SPICE simulation, but I haven't found a ready-made SPICE model of them.

I found a data sheet for the relevant Microsemi parts here but I'm having trouble figuring out which of these specifications should be transferred to the SPICE model. Could someone please point me in the correct direction to understand these terms so that I can build an appropriate SPICE model?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunitely there is no Spice parameter for 'voidless hermetically sealed glass', 'JEDEC registration', or 'extremely robust construction'.

OK, I'm being a little cynical.

For the 1N6314, a quick check of Digikey for 3.9 volt 500 mW zeners with an impedance of 23 Ohms quickly found a 1N5228B. It is only a zener, and Spice is not meant to simulate absolutely everything, and most mil-spec or high-rel parts have standard commercial equivalents. I suggest you look for spice models for the equivalents.

Thank you for your reply; it helped me find the information below.

I ended up using Microsemi Micronote Series 010 located here entitled "How to Quickly Obtain Spice Parameters for Diodes".

I hope this helps someone else in the same position. I'm currently using LTSpice to build a small library containing the components I need, and doing some tests to develop some better intuition on how these model parameters affect various simulations. If anyone has good pointers here, I'd welcome them.

Also, I thought that JANTX components had to conform to some kind of maximum component distribution that I could use for Monte Carlo analysis - I'll check with my colleagues on Monday, but I might have simply been incorrect.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back