Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jaw crusher assemble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thysman68

Electrical
Sep 15, 2009
ZA
Can you please tell me where the counterweihgt on the fly wheel must be in relation to the eccentric of the shaft.90 degrees or 180 degrees.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on his profile, and other questions asked, I believe that Thysman68 is asking a work-related question -- just a bit more tersely than most.

Perhaps some additional information could be supplied. For example, when I first looked at the drawing I took it to be an attempt at a 3-dimensional representation with a shaft going through the center hole at an angle (from page upper right to page lower left). However, after looking at it again, it could be that a shaft comes through straight and the hole is off-center. [Note: in both cases, I'm assuming that the drawn device attaches to a shaft.] I'd really like an explanation of what the line across the bottom means - is that additional weight being added?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

It looks like it needs to be at 180 degrees in order to counter balance the off-center mass of the eccentric journal. You want the center of mass to be at the center of rotation. I'm not sure that I've interpreted your your drawing correctly, however.

Hi Thysman68

Intutively the balance weight looks like it should be at 180 degrees to the eccentric of the shaft, however its not quite as simple as that because the radial position of the balance mass is also important.
Have a look at this pdf it explains balancing a disc in the first chapter.

regards

desertfox

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a0fcd251-c4ff-478b-985e-53e3afcc6507&file=dynamic_balancing.pdf
When I worked in the quarrying industry (many years ago) the crusher flywheels were keyed to the eccentric shaft. There was only be one position in which they fitted in order to line up the keyways.
Ask your colleague if the keys have been fitted. If so, then the flywheel is in the correct place and his problem is elsewhere.

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back