Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Jet-fuel Barrel Storage in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
Oct 1, 2008
CA
Hi!

I'm in Canada, specificaly in Quebec. Our oprations includes the daily use of many helicopter across the province.

We have about 15 in the field storage site with barrels to fuel the helicopters when passing by. 3 sites with rack for the barrels and the others with the barrels directly on the ground.

I'm looking for ways to store them to prevent spill of fuel going into the environment. Also, when fueling the helicopter.

I have already read the CSA B836-05 called "Storage, handling, and dispensing of aviation fuels at aerodromes". There is a part on barrels storage but I dont really like what I found in it.

All barrels are transported to site with slings by helicopters;
All barrels are moved by hand;
All the fuel is pumped using a small electric pump for aviation use;
Storage site goes from 5 barrels to 30 barrels

Any ideas are welcomed!

thanks

Pierre L.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know the CA specs, but I'd think you'd at least want a concrete apron with liner and curb for the storage area to hold a volume of 33 bbls. If the storage period is not long, that's probably enough. Perhaps elevated storage, if the storage period is long term.

Watch that electric pump. If located in areas exposed to vapors, it should more than likely be "explosion proof".

"Less than 1% of the energy moving a car goes towards the driver."
Amory Lovins - The Oil End Game

Make sure that a roof is added to the concrete apron. Other than a liner ,you can coat the concrete with an epoxy paint compatible to fuel exposure. Spill containment should hold at least one drum and add a ramp to the containment.

I work for the Fishries and Ocean Canada, a canadian goverment ministry.

Our site are very remote on island away from the shore (mainly the gulf of St-Lawrence and far away in the north in the middle of nowhere, norhtern Quebec and the arctic region). We also have shore sites and inland sites. Atmospheric condition are mainly bad and we've got salty mist that rust everything...

The only way to access sites is by ship (icebreakers) and/or helicopters.

For the shore sites, there is no problem in building concrete apron with curb because our ships can be use as a construction platform other than that it is quite difficult. What do you think of that kind of plastic pod made by Ultra Tech for our small sites : Ultra-Hard Top P2
. I also plan to made the use of Pop-Up-Pools when fueling helicopters a standard when doing in it the field
For bigger sites, what do you think of of metal racks with a ramp for the storage of barrels? For sure it is easier to build this kind of thing because it is easelly transportable for us. Problem is the containment. Maybe installing a membrane under it will be ok???

How do you manage the water from rain or snow melting in that kind of concrete containment?

For the pump when you say "explosion proof" do you mean that if an explosion occurs in the pump this one contain the explosion? Or that the pump need to be an "intrinsic" one; produces not enough heat or any kind of sparks that can ignite a fire?

thanks

Those examples look like they'll work just fine.

I have put drain pipe with a gate valve through curbs and dikes, normally closed, that you open to drain any accumulated water (or to an oily water drainage handling system). And even a roof & shade structure when needed.

Yes, "intrinsically" safe is the right wording as opposed to explosion proof, which technically doesn't really exist.

Barrel racks would be good to keep the bbls off the floor and also can provide some head for gravity flow.

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic
"Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies" -

Yep they are fine, however, if made out of polyethylene,except the grates on which the drums sit to cave in after a period of time.I have witnessed that. Also, plastic tends to crack with cold weather and I say expect that to happen when handling drums--"slam!bang!".

HI 5689,

I think we were talking on this last fall (I'm Caluna but for some reason I cannot log on as that)..What did you finally do with these storage areas?

I had similar fuel storage site problem inland -for fuel drums to be used for fire service-and the latest design is for fuel storage (diesel, jet, gasoline) in single layer on built-up earth deck with berm around, and a landing at truck height for drums to be rolled out and over an earthen bridge (over berm). Client does not wish to use forklift or racks.

Client is worried about having to pump out rainwater from "moat" and sump, using portable sump pump to be stored in shed...but as far I'm concerned,if you are fighting fires you should be able to recognize a petroleum spill on top of sump water..and can pump water over berm and contiminated water to slop tank...

Hi Daianto,

All of our storage facility for barrels are only accessible by boat or helicopter. We choose to use a foldable berm with a tarp over it and to enforce the use standard operation procedure (SOP)when fueling the helicopters.

Also Park Canada in NorthWest Territories as produce a very good document called " Fuel Caching Protocol for National Parks in the Western Arctic"

that is it. happy new year

PL

Thanks very much!

How do you hold the tarp down?

Our client does not want a cover or roof. The area for drum storage is quite large as we may have up to 200 barrels at any site (in one layer)

I'm in Yellowknife so it would be good to see the NT Parks Canada document. However I can't find anyone here at the PC office. Can I get it on the web or is there another way to get it?

DaiAnto

the tarp is hold down with pins in the ground with quick coupling that permits fast remove of it.

tarp is a necessity because it protects the the knob of the barrel and it also protect the fill of the secondary containment by rain or snow. so no need for a pump.

the document is not on the web.

you should contact the environmental people at Park Canada to have copy of it

PL

document written in april 2006

prepared by D. Drummond, Park Warden and Fuel Cache Coordinator, Western Artic Field Unit

Recommended by C. Bucher A/ Resource Conservation Manager, Western Artic Field Unit

Approved by A. Ferh Superintendent, Western Artic Field Unit

Hope it helps

Good weekend

PL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back