Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Jet Fuel Piping and Fasteners 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickypaliwal

Materials
Aug 28, 2014
OM
What is the recommended material for the jet fuel piping and fasteners in airport supplies?

We have applied upstream standards and have proceeded with Stainless Steel piping and Low Alloy Steel bolts/nuts.

Is there any standard that calls for SS bolts/nuts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nickypaliwal ... perhaps petroleum forum may provide additional insight.

1. There is more to Your question than meets the eye, such as...

Above ground or below ground [or both]?

Civil or military [or both?].

US or foreign airfield?

Are fasteners fuel-wet or fuel-dry [I suspect fuel-dry]? Are they over-coated or left exposed to environment?

Have You considered environmental problems such as potential fuel contaminates [grit, water, biological etc], static electricity, cathodic protection, lightning strike, affects of dissimilar metallic materials, unique effects of seals/gaskets/packing's on metals, etc?

Piping coatings, insulation and mountings or beddings are also important.

2. Here is what I am familiar with**...most are US sources, one is UK, one is Canadian, one is ICAO and one is NATO. Some are canceled/not-replaced... but have good-to-now info.

API Pub 1500 [CX] Storage and Handling of Aviation fuels at Airports

API RP 1540 [CX] Design, Construction, Operation and Maintenance of Aviation Fuelling Facilities

API RP 1595 Design, Construction, Operation, Maintenance, and Inspection of Aviation Pre-Airfield
Storage Terminals

CSA Group B836-14 Storage, handling, and dispensing of aviation fuels at aerodromes

EI 1540 Design, Construction, Commissioning, Maintenance and Testing of Aviation Fuelling Facilities
operation-and-maintenance-of-aviation-fuelling-facilities

Fed FCGS 15609 Aviation Fuel Distribution Systems

ICAO Doc 9977 AN/489 Manual on Civil Aviation Jet Fuel Supply

MIL-STD-1518 Storage, Handling, and Servicing Of Aviation Fuels, Lubricating Oils, and Hydraulic Fluids at Contractor Facilities

MIL-STD-1540 Design, Construction, Operation and Maintenance of Aviation Fuelling Facilities

MIL-STD-1548 Into-Plane Servicing of Fuels at Commercial Airports

NATO STANAG 3609 Standards for Maintenance of Fixed Aviation Fuel Receipt, Storage and Dispensing Systems

NFPA 407 Standard for Aircraft Fuel Servicing

PEI RP 100 Installation of Underground Liquid Storage Systems

SAE ARP5789 Aviation Fuel Facilities

UK CAP 748 Aircraft Fuelling and Fuel Installation Management

USACE UFGS 01 78 23.33 Operation and Maintenance Manuals for Aviation Fuel Systems

USACE UFGS 33 52 43.13 Aviation Fuel Piping

** a few years ago I had to provide directions for decontaminating my aircraft fuel system from water, biological and 'other stuff' [sandy-grit, rust particles, flaking paint/coatings, odd plastic particles, etc] contaminates. I had a crash-course in airfield fuel infrastructure and delivery systems to understand potential problems within aircraft tanks. Worse-yet, my acft was an air refueling tanker, so it's fuel-tank contamination could possibly flow-into, and affect, receiver acft fuel systems. What a nightmare airbase/airfield fuel infrastructure is to maintain properly: but any fuel contamination can have disastrous effects on acft and air operations.

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Thanks for your comments..

It is above ground is desert region for in airport vicinity.

The fasteners are non-wetted and for civil purpose in Gulf region.

For petroleum industry, generally CS or Coates CS is acceptable however as understood from auditor comments, there are separate standards available/followed for the aviation industries.

I am looking for some insight on jet fuel/aviation standard practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back