Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jet Propelled power 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy

Marine/Ocean
Jun 25, 2001
AU
I have an Australian designed 21foot half cabin fibreglass cruiser called a 'Savage Marlin' that is nearing completion & I have purchased a used 'Noen' jet with an 8inch impeller diameter which will be driven by a small block V8 350 chev engine. What advantages & disadvantages will I be running into?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jets tend to be a little indeterminate at low speed as the aggressiveness of output is a flow volume function. This can be a little problematic if you are working in an area with relatively stout currents (e.g., docking perpendicular to the flow in a river) where the physical space constraints prevent the throttle required to adjust position; an excellent answer to this is the addition (at a fairly substantial cost) of bow or/and stern thrusters.

If you can find one, the Hinckley picnic boat uses jets and thrusters with a joystick control and can literally walk sideways; I am told that bayliner has added a jet/joystick option to one of their boats.

Having replaced my fair share of props, I like the concept of a jet, but the low speed considerations can be overwhelming depending on where you boat.

Forgot on the first posting to tell you that there is an Australian manufacturer of jet drives who markets as a Hamilton; they have an excellent engineering/installation guide which would be worth procuring. Truck

Jet drives can be temperamental, and need to maintain close clearances to perform well. Too much clearance between the impeller and tunnel will cause cavition. Sand can be a problem, causing wear. Make sure parts are available. I am in the process of replacing 3 P-Jet units do to corrosion around the stainless steel sleeve in the tunnel causing the sleeve to go out of round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back