Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Jiffy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenal

Electrical
Aug 20, 2001
US
I heard on the radio this morning that a jiffy is equal to a power cycle period at 50 or 60 Hz, among other definitions. Completely new to me. Web searches take me to where it suggests the more modern electrical engineering definition is 10 ms, but with no source given. Before I email Fred Berman, Ph.D., P.E. asking him for his source, I thought I'd ask here. Anyone hear of these definitions, and if so, where?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wikipedia simply points back to the website I linked. To be clear, I'm not interested in the many definitions, but those specific to electrical engineering. Also not interested in any types of answers. I'm wondering if there are electricals out there who have actually heard or used the word in this manner. Thanks.

It's familiar as a colloquial term, generally meaning a fairly short period of time. I have never heard it in any formal, technical context over this side of the pond.

I actually thought Europe had a monopoly on weird names for units of measurement and had used most of them while devising the CGS system, but perhaps this is a late challenge from the colony. [smile]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back