Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Job Finding Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

famousness1

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2011
US
Hey everyone, new to this forum, and was wondering if I could get some assistance from experienced engineers.

Ok so I recently graduated with a BS in aerospace engineering back in May 2010. I took a little time off, thinking it wasnt a big deal. But for the last couple of months ive been applying to jobs everyday online, on average I do about 8 a day, because some days there are lots of new openings and others there are not. Ive only had 1 interview and that was back when I was still in school (and being nervous, first interview, it didnt go that well in my mind). And all I do is keep getting emails saying I havn't been considered.

Being aerospace, I look into entry level jobs for companies such as lockheed, boeing, viasat, northrup, raytheon, etc. My GPA wasnt that great coming out of school (2.4 overall 2.8 in major) and I tend to leave that info off some of my resumes, but I am a hard worker, especially when I have the opportunity to get an income. And the only thing I can list on my resume is a mish mash of mechanical/aero studies with a focus on space systems and an irrelevant biology intern experience.

So my question is there anything else i can do to help further my cause? I am pretty sure all the other applicants that apply for those jobs are more qualified than i am(higher GPA, relevant intern experience...). Should i keep plugging along with what i am doing and maybe ill get a hit, or should I try a different approach besides just online applications? Id love to move back to the DC area, but i am currently in southern california living with family. Is it worth it to go to career fairs in an area where i dont really want to work? Should I try actually going in to a company and try to talk to someone in HR?

Sorry if this is such an off the wall post, but I am getting pretty frustrated and am considering moving back to the DC area and picking up a job that has nothing to do what I studied 4 years for. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe I'm behind the times, but I think you need to wear out a little shoe leather and hit the street. Call on those companies face to face. Our last two hires in my department were guys who just stopped by. We didn't even know we needed someone that instant. But they're still here today.
Maybe someone quit that day. Or passed away. But I think that dropping Emailed resumes is too easy nowadays. It's all a blur for whoever screens them. Make them say no to you to your face.
Don't emphasize the things you can't do and sell the things you can. So you had a bad GPA. Not everyone is a good student. Don't volunteer it. You're a hard worker; tell them that. Be personable. Smile, even when they're kicking you. Most important, tell them you want to learn.

It's not just the recent graduates who are having a rough time finding jobs.

I moved to Boston from Phoenix to be near my wife's family, and I'm having a tougher time than I would have thought finding a job. I have ten years of experience, I'm licensed in several states (both civil and structural), I've taught for a couple years as an adjunct, and recently completed my mater's degree. I've applied to about 30 positions since moving here three months ago, and have received only a few calls, and only one interview! I haven't been too aggressive since I had been spending most of my time completing my master's, but I'm still surprised at the lack of success (not that I think I'm just the best candidate out there, but I would have thought I am more marketable than I apparently am!)

I think JedClampett has the right idea. I plan on showing up at some offices soon...

"should I try a different approach besides just online applications?" Yes.

These different approaches have been detailed many times in many vaguely similar threads, I suggest you take a look.

Cold calling doesn't seem to work too well with the big boy defence companies, they'll just tell you to apply on line. However, if you can turn that cold call into a contact in your 'network' then maybe it'll help.

In a lot of cases it aint what you know it's who you blow know.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Well thanks for all the replies, and its a comfort to know im not alone, even though we are in the wrong boat. I think i will take yalls advice. Im gonna try and make a move to the DC area, pick up something to pay the bills, and use my extra time actually trying to meet people instead of online resumes.

thanks again for the replies/tips

This question may have been more appropriate over in forum731 or even forum732. There are certainly vaguely similar threads over there and you may find useful posts.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

register with every contract agency house around

If you looking for DC area register with all those agencies.

Look at the unemployment websites for jobs

Do the info interview of a field that you want to work in. This is called information gathering and can lead to a job. This is the I want to find out if this what I want to do and ask the engineering manager for a little of his time. I think your college can coach you on how this is done. Just locate a few companies in your area that might be in your field and ask them what this position you want does day to day. Get them started talking and they will dump on you and maybe give you a contact to a contact that might get you hired.

Internet resume posting has its limits and most use catch phrases to search for resumes. So if you do not have the catch phrases you wont get selected.

Maybe it's just me, but I have found the unemployment job sites to be heavily geared towards more blue collar / simple jobs (construction, office assistant, etc.). True engineering jobs will likely never be found there...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

“Is it worth it to go to career fairs in an area where i dont really want to work?”

I lived in New York City and went to a job fair in Baltimore Maryland to get a job in Massachusetts. I have know others in my company who went to a job fair in California and ended up working in Texas. Depending on how big the company may be, they will have facilities / organizations across the country or world. Now today’s job fairs are different due to our great technology. Most companies want you to search for job openings and submit your resume on their website. This is the only way you can get recognized by the company. Think of it as registering with the company.

However, depending on the companies need to fill a position, there are three possibilities. One is that there are not too many job openings and they are just there to keep their company relevant (most companies). The second is that the person behind the table has a running list of openings thru out the company and will take your resume to forward to the hiring manger (some companies) if you make the cut from others who submitted their resumes, but you still have to register with the company on line. The third is that the company has just won a proposal and need people ASAP (the gold nugget) and have the hiring managers or department representatives on site to filter perspectives; also HR is there with lap tops so you can register with the company on line. You will have to keep a finger on the business pulse of the companies where you want to work. You have to keep an eye on who has won new work or has growth in a certain sector and then go onto their website and see if they will be represented at any job fairs (hopefully somewhere near you) that you can attend. Situation two and three is what you are looking to take advantage.

A word about GPA’s, this is more of a filtering tool for HR than anything. If you can get some real world experience not necessarily in engineering where you can show your professionalism, this will offset the lower GPA. This is where if you can get yourself in front of somebody at job fairs with an eye catching resume and a professional demeanor, your character will be worth more than the GPA.

People behind the table should not be the only people you should be talking too. Network at the job fair, there are other company representatives floating (yes we too like all the free stuff other companies give out) around that may be beneficial to you and may give you an inside tip.

Please do not be discouraged that most just want you to register with them on line. It is one of the few places where you have a live representative from the company that you can ask questions and may persuade to send your resume to a hiring manager.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back