Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Job Interviews And Practise 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadeng

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2012
CA
I've heard that in order to keep your interview skills sharp you should plan to go through a job interview every so often. I have not been through an interview in approx. 6 years and I am thinking of doing this (with the purpose of seeing what other opportunities are out there, as well as seeing if there is any interest in my skills, i.e. building up my confidence). Just curious if anyone has done this or is currently doing this? Also, if you apply for a job that you are not really interested in, should you feel bad for going through the motions, with no intent on taking the job if they offer it to you?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Recently interviewed for a position that I wasn't so sure about. It lasted about three hours and at the end of it after learning more about the job and company, I realized there was virtually no chance of me taking it. Regardless of even how much they paid me. More of a health and safety concern.

So I called them and turned down the second interview after they had re-scheduled it to a more convenient time for me. I felt really bad, but in the end didn't want to waste their time.

As for interview questions and asking about the position...who would not want to know as much as possible about a job they're taking? Probably someone who does not have a job and is desperate. When I was interviewing for my first job I was less critical of everything and just wanted details on what type of job I would be doing. Now I've got a laundry list of questions to determine the company's culture, attitude towards vacation, unpaid leave, bonuses, profit, job, people, etc.

Sure as shootin', as soon I put on my Big Girl Panties and strut like I'm something and try to outsmart someone, my complete and total stupidity shows up.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

TomDOT: I never ran into the problem of trying to be replaced. I had done this at 2 different jobs. They both gave me large raises and more responsibilities. I can't imagine that I am the only one with this experience as I have worked with some good people who have shopped around as well.

Hydromechdude: I think your laundry list of questions, or asking and talking about why the company would want you is the difference. Sort of like playing hard to get. Desperate doesn't get very far in any situation.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

I think it's far more important that you know how to spell the word 'practice' before worry about interviewing with any companies...[tongue]

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Well, looks like I am an idiot! Sorry, didn't realize the verb/noun usage there changes the spelling of it. Looks like I learned something.

See what you get for trying to be a smart*ss

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back