Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job Outlook For Electrical Engineers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freedomfirst

Electrical
Mar 7, 2010
US
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if someone could please advise me on whether or not I should make a career change. I am a 49 year old electrical contractor and have run my own company during the last 19 - years in central NC. The electrical industry has slowed down considerably so I need to make a career change.
Would it be a good idea to go to a 4-year college and pursue a degree in EE? Is the job outlook good in this field?

Thank you for your help with this topic.

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say that Electric Power systems is a great field to enter. Unfortunately, most real power systems courses in the US are taught at the masters level.

Depending on your experience, power systems testing, maintenance and commissioning are great fields, although travel is required. Most of the training is OTJ with a lot of self study required.

Perhaps you could also parlay your skills in cell phone tower construction. I hear this industry is also booming.

Historically EE's with knowledge in power systems have been in short supply. Once I had my bachelor's degree in general EE curriculum, I entered a masters program and took several power systems classes while, which were very helpful. At the same time, I got a job and my assigned mentor taught me what I really needed to know for daily work. I agree with smallgeek - very few universities teach power systems at an undergrad level, and most employers understand that. An internship with the right company while you are working on your degree would be worthwhile.

Another option may be architectural engineering. These programs are not very technical, but provide a broad background in many disciplines. It may or may not be adequate preparation for the MSEE.

Right now things are not so good in my area (central U.S.). Lots of lay-offs these days. By the time you finish your degree, hopefully things will be different.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

Thank you for the advice alehman. I have been wiring commercial and residential buildings for 24 years now. Is this not considered power systems? I was thinking about staying in this field but instead of being an installer I would like to be a designer.
Thanks,
Jim

The wiring system is usually the lower end voltage market, while electrical engineers, generally, deal with most EHV, HV and MV systems. In terms of power transformers, substations, transmission/distribution systems etc.

When living in the UK they did actually define electricians as "Electrical Engineers" which made it very annoying when job searching.

I cannot really comment on teh job market in the US as im from Australia. But down here they pay REALLY well for Electrical/Power Engineers and there is always a job demand for them, especially if you're willing to work in the Mining Industry.

In the undergrad i did, the last year of the 4 year degree, you learn about power systems, power qaulity etc and are required to work in the industry as well.

Hope this helps...

We do a fair amount of low-voltage systems for industrial facilities and I think experience as an electrician in this type of work could be valuable as an engineer.

Alan
“The engineer's first problem in any design situation is to discover what the problem really is.” Unk.

I just left my career as a paralleling generator/switchgear tech at 47years old to finish my BSEE too. Not so much for the money as the job challenge.

I'd like to point out to Samuel that there are plenty of EEs working in low voltage in Australia. It's where I spend the vast majority of my working life.

I also agree with alehman, having experience as a electrician would stand you in good stead for a career as an engineer.

I meant no offence, and yeah im sure he's experience as an electrician will come in handy.

I am just saying from my experience of people completing a bachelors at my university 95% of them went into the HV power sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back