Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joining Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickelBase

Mechanical
May 14, 2002
US
What is the best way to join 3105-H12 (.080 thk) Aluminum tube to 6061-T6 Aluminum Plate (.625 thk)? Is welding the best option? If so, do I need to use a filler? What type?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welding may or may not be the best option. I think you should consider non-fusion welding processes such as friction welding and friction stir welding, as well adhesive bonding. One advantage of these processes is they don't require filler material.

CoryPad may be right if you are looking at high production type work. I don't think that tubes to plate can be friction stir welded yet though, but friction welding may be a good idea. Depending on the diameter of the tube, you may also look at stud welding equipment if they are short tubes. Laser welding could also be a solution. If the above ideas are not applicable to your situation, a GTA (TIG) weld may be your best and most conventional bet. Due to the thickness differences you will probably have to preheat the thicker plate. This would have to be determined by experimentation. Unless your joint is a square groove, filler metal will generally have to be added also. 6061-T6 aluminum is readily weldable, but I do not know about the 3015-H12. The tube manufacurer may be able to give you weldability and filler metal recommendations.

I would suggest adhesive bonding as used widely in the Aerospace industry for bonding 2024. however both 6061-T6, and 3105-H12 are readily weldable I would suggest a 5356 filler rod due to the 42,000 psi tensile strenth 6061. The drawback to welding is the fact that both parts are already heat treated the T6 being solution heat treated and artificially aged, and the H12 being strain hardened, depending on your weld area the part may need to be treated again as the weld area will likely become annealed or softened by the process. Hope this is some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back