Joint Industrial Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonLeffingwellPE

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2000
US
Visit site
Back about 25 years ago, I contacted an organization called the JIC. (Joint Industrial Council) to obtain standards for electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic machine controls and was able to purchase these standards. I have since lost them. I tried searching the Internet for a reference to JIC, their standards, etc. and couldn't find anything. Can someone tell me if they still exist and are standards available?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Don Leffingwell<br><A HREF="mailto:dleffingwell@snet.net">dleffingwell@snet.net</A><br><br><br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try This(Linda Hall Library)is among other things an old standards archive. Go to &quot;Collections &amp; Services&quot;, &quot;Reference Services&quot; and bore down. This same site also lists an address for JIC as 7901 Westpark Dr, McLean, Va, 22101, 703-893-2900. I have not checked any of this info out.

JIC is no longer in existance.
UL 508A is now the accepted standard for Machine Tool Control Panels.
NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery.
NFPA 70B Recommended Practices for Electrical Equipment Maintenance.
UL is located in Northbrook, Il.
NFPA is located in Batterymarch Park Quincy, Ma.
NEC (NFPA 70) articles 90-7, 100, 100-3b refers to the above.

Thanks Reddog.

I have purchased the NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery based on posting this same question in the electrical controls forum and the response I got there. Thanks anyway.

Don

JIC may no longer exist but that doesn't stop many companies from citing it as a standard that their machinery suppliers must conform to. Some of them, realizing JIC is defucnt took the JIC book, made a few changes, and declared it their own standard. Ford, GM and Bridgestone come to mind. Their versions might be offer a hint as to what the standards specify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back