Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Joist Opening Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohit Jain

Structural
Apr 29, 2024
IN
I am having a 2x10 joist having an opening more than permitted as per IBC in wood joist. It's alread constructed. It is 1 7/8" from top (whcih is <2" as per code) and havig 4" opening diameter.
What can be done?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The contractor hired us to see if the above condition can work. I searched NDS, IBC and IRC. All have same clauses. I tried in forte above condition but there was no change in design with or without opening. So, does forte perform the analysis if the opening does not follow the clauses. Can you help me out on this?

Mohit Jain said:
The contractor hired us to see if the above condition can work

I believe what SWComposites is getting at, is who are you representing (are you the EOR for the project, a contract third party engineer, or something else?) Do you have sufficient experience with wood design to perform an analysis on the reduced section, with an understanding of how the wood will respond to this modification? Where are you located, are you at a location where IBC and NDS dictate the design, or do you have an alternate local code that must be followed?

Keep in mind that holes/notches that fall outside of the allowances of IRC or prescriptive section of IBC may affect the performance of the wood sample, due to the visual grading method of assigning properties.

Mohit Jain said:
I tried in forte above condition but there was no change in design with or without opening.

From my knowledge, Forte does not include analysis for modification to sawn lumber, I believe it only allows analysis for holes in SCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back