Joule Thompson Coefficient for Natural Gas mixture 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phani Y

Chemical
Aug 3, 2019
IN
Hi everyone,

I'm interested to calculate Joule Thompson coefficient for a Natural Gas mixture manually. Can someone please guide me how to proceed with that? Kindly post some useful references' links for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One degree C for every 2 bar pressure drop is a decent rule of thumb when in the range 30-80 bar...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

The best source for natural gas properties is the American Gas Association Report 8 (AGA8). I have posted a free Excel AddIn that provides such properties in a spreadsheet. The composition of natural gas varies considerably depending on the source so the JT coefficient varies with mole fractions of the constituents as well as conditions. I also have a spreadsheet you can download from the web that calculates whether condensation will occur or not, which is what took out much of the gas supply in Texas during the recent cold snap. Compressor stations don't like condensation!

Here's a spreadsheet that calculates a variety of properties for natural gas using the Redlich-Kwong-Soave EoS that you can use to find the Joule-Thompson coefficient as well as many other things. My AGA8 spreadsheet is 19MB and it wouldn't upload. I have another spreadsheet that uses the Peng-Robinson EoS that I have used to check for condensation at gas compressor stations in Texas and Mexico. It's not on my laptop so it must be on the Server in one of the project files. I will search for it but this one should get you started.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5b713076-fdc1-49be-b597-e155ca139558&file=natural_gas_RKS.xls
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back