Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Jr Eng Needing advice @ consulting job

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan11

Electrical
Aug 14, 2008
US
Hi guys.. new to the forum... came across this when i was looking for a tutorial for ETAP

A little intro..
Bach in EE
working for eng firm for almost 6 months
position: controls / instru eng??

Like I said above its been about 6 months since I started working at this engineering firm.. things are going ok.. cept that theres not always much work to keep me busy... my boss is great and company seems ok..

The problem is, when I interviewed for this position, it entailed getting involved in 2 areas of EE... controls/instrumentation and power engineering. I was not very interested in doing controls/instru but the power is what I was really going for. I was told I would start off in controls and move onto power slowly.

The reason I really dont like controls/instru is for the fact that I hate programming..PLC, C ... whatever... i generally hate it.. Yes, it probably wasnt a smart choice to take the position if I hate programming, but I was willing to give it another try and hopefully be able to get into power systems. I do also feel like controls/instru doesnt involve enough EE for me to be interested. I wasn't the best student but I mean if i got a degree in EE. I might as well use it to my fullest extent.

During these months, I've been trying to get involved in power. Situation here... theres 2 senior power engineers.. no mid level no jrs.. so it would make complete sense for the company to let me in on some power stuff. There are a bunch more controls engineers here. However, it turns out one of the senior power guys whom I interviewed with is now refusing to take me "under his wing" and teach me power.

I've been trying to take some steps to getting involved on my own. Asking about previous power projects that have been done and trying to learn ETAP. However, there is no one at this branch who uses ETAP. So, its tough to learn on my own. They do want me to learn b/c they paid for licenses for it. Unforunately... I have no idea where to start...

I've also tried to take steps into getting involved in other stuff such as renewable energy (mainly solar energy). However, I've only gone as far as some minor research.

I feel like I might be impatient or not giving controls a chance at all?? Some feedback please.

I also did turn down a job prior to this in systems integration with a big company. I had no idea what that job entailed even after the interview and explaination. Seemed like I would just do a lot of testing.. which meant I probably wouldn't learn as much. Now I am kind of regretting the choice. I thought being at a consulting firm would give me vast opportunities to explore in the EE field.

Should I leave? gut it out? look for something else? call back the other place?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

6 months seems like a decent time to 'give it a chance'. You should talk to your boss and see if you are ever going to be put in the power engineering, if you dont like what you hear then start looking for a new position.

Make sure the next position is a good one, you want to stay there for a couple of years. 1 short stint on your resume is acceptable, 2 is cause for future employers to be concerned.

Any idea why the one engineer refuses to show you the ropes?

You could always volunteer for doing stuff like drafting, or maybe accompanying the senior guys on field work to take pictures, or meeting minutes. It might get you in their good books?

6 months seems like a very short time to me. I assume this is your first job out of college? Many companies will put new hires, especially newby grads on probation for the first 6 months. You don't get to stretch your wings until later. Unless you have been absolutely told, no you will not be doing anything but controls - be patient grasshopper. I would not leave with the economy in this condition unless you already have another job offer lined up. And the new offer should have a work description that you like.

he refuses b/c apparently im not the first this has happened to... a lot of ppl say its b/c of his attitude and mentality as to why there no mid lvl and junior power eng's... meaning it would be a miracle for me to get any work in that area.. thats part of the reason why i want to go..

yeah i want the next job to be at least a more perm status like at least 2-5 years...

anyone know what systems eng pertains? should i call back the other place?

Could you possibly try typing in English? Last time I checked electrons were practically free.

Systems engineering is nothing like what you seem to be interested in. I would have thought that google might answer your question.

You said there are two power engineers, and one is being a pain. What about the other one?

I'm assuming ETAP is a softaware package.

If they want you to learn a software package, start by doing the tutorials, then when you run into a problem call support and ask them about training. Demonstrate to your boss that you are serious about learning it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

I agree with Greg Locock, writing skills matter. If you can't pay enough attention to minor details to use complete words, spelled correctly, in complete sentences why should someone be interested in helping you into a field where overlooking what seem to be minor details can get someone killed?

Alright, I'll try my best to type in complete sentences.

I tried finding tutorials for ETAP, but the ones on their website didn't help much. I tried googling but couldn't find anything else.

I would say how long is 6 months? Most people here think it is too soon for any real responsibility. I on the other hand say that it is long enough to decide whether it is a place you see your self in 1-5 years.

My initial assumption is when you say 6 months, you mean 6 months plus not 5 months.

If you have not had a review after your first 180 days I say it looks bad as they should be giving you some indication of how you are working out and if your performance is on par. It is also a good time to bring up these types of issues.

If they seem to not want you to play in the power field at all the I would say there is little chance until someone leaves or is directed to from higher up. It sounds like the 2 seniors are pretty sure they have everything they need.

No one here will admit it but sometimes it is a common practice to mislead or overstate immediate opportunities for fresh outs when they are interviewing to get someone to fill a vacant position.

No one here will admit it but sometimes it is a common practice to mislead or overstate immediate opportunities for fresh outs when they are interviewing to get someone to fill a vacant position.

It's the same all the way to the bottom(retail). One of my first jobs they said I could move to a different area after a few weeks since they were short in the area they put me. Brought it up in a few weeks, brought it up fairly regularly there after. Then they were surprised when the next time I came to talk to them was with my two weeks notice.

I'm trying to keep my slim hope of doing power alive. However, if I see no progression soon, I will probably have to bolt for something else.

I'm trying my best to work as hard as I can in controls, however projects have been slow... rarely ever get 2 or 3 days of full work. Haven't gotten involved in a single plc logic program yet.

Thanks for tips. I'll keep you guys posted if anything develops.

Someone somewhere in your company felt that your position needed filled and that you were the right person for the job. In this economic climate there are not a lot of firms that can bring people on to not have them be productive. Maybe they brought you on for a project on the horizon, maybe it was to finish up a previous project with hopes of landing the next big one. I can definitly understand the frustration of choppy work assignments, but take advantage of the lulls to educate yourself. See if you can discretely find out the who and the why for your position.

Although dangerous (everyone knows the saying) there are assumptions that pop into my mind about the reluctant engineer. One is that he has probably had to take some others "under his wing" before and had bad experiences with them. Most of these bad experiences where probably his fault, but that won't matter to him. Another, is that he was championing a different canditate for your position and you got picked. Long story short make the best of your situation and if you don't get a clear vision of what it is you are doing and where you are headed I would start looking elsewhere.

To answer your MEP question, IMHO a MEP firm is a "regular" engineering firm. I would even go so far as to say there is no 'irregular' engineering firm. An MEP firm just happens to be one that specializes in mechanical, electrical, and plumbing engineering. There a numerous other types engineering firms. Pretty much one for any discipline you could have studied in school and several that you can only learn through experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back